Rucksack advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I have no idea about this kind of stuff. I need something general purpose. It has to transport lots of stuff to meets (sleeping bag etc) so should have the abilty to somehow lash lots of stuff to it easily, and be tough enough to be thrown around whilst on camps. If possible it should have lots of compartments so you know where your stuff is and being sure you wont spill your water bottle everywhere. It should also be comfy enough to do the pennine way.

Remember guys, Im a complete newby with this stuff, so no accronyms without explanations please.

Thanks in advance.
Stuart.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
You don't want much, do you Stu? Huge, strong, with compartments and comfy!

IMHO, you should avoid the issue bergan as it rides high and you can't use the hip belt properly. This means that all the weight is on your shoulders and this leads to fatigue.

I like the Karrimor Sabre range. I have used the 45L and 60 -100L, but now own a 75L. This are well made, relatively comfy when loaded and have detachable side pouches which make a daysac up.

If you want to try mine for size next weekend, you are more than welcome!

Simon

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Any of the quality makes will do the job,you just need to get the right capacity.
Go yo your local outdoor shop and try them on.Make sure you load it with some weight to settle it on your shoulders

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Id say the fit is just as important as when buying boots, so try your mates packs, or go to a camping shop and try a few on (loaded!) then search for the same model and backsize online

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Give us an idea of your kit list Stu, is Mrs Intrepid making the journey ?

Mrs Intrepid carries some of her own stuff :

Winter Sleeping bag.
Walking poles.
Flask.
Water bottles.
Big Tarp or maybe tent (with pegs).
Hammock.
Hammock underblanket (Wanderinstar design is priceless).
2 sets of cloths (exept on long walks it will be 3).
Zebra Billies and Zebra camp kettle (bought from you, cheers).
ALL bushcrafty gear (Axe, Knifes, Medical kit, Potions/Lotions, etc.

Probably alot more mate. I want to be able to add pouches to the bag when needed.

I totaly agree with Saddle Tramp about comfort. I have a bit of a bad back so this is paramount, especialy on longer (non bushcraft) walks.

Simon, cheers for the offer mate, ill be there VERY early Friday morning.
Lurch, you are missing an oppertunity here mate!!!

Cheers guys
Stu

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mrs Intrepid carries some of her own stuff :

Winter Sleeping bag.
Walking poles.
Flask.
Water bottles.
Big Tarp or maybe tent (with pegs).
Hammock.
Hammock underblanket (Wanderinstar design is priceless).
2 sets of cloths (exept on long walks it will be 3).
Zebra Billies and Zebra camp kettle (bought from you, cheers).
ALL bushcrafty gear (Axe, Knifes, Medical kit, Potions/Lotions, etc.

Probably alot more mate. I want to be able to add pouches to the bag when needed.

I totaly agree with Saddle Tramp about comfort. I have a bit of a bad back so this is paramount, especialy on longer (non bushcraft) walks.

Simon, cheers for the offer mate, ill be there VERY early Friday morning.
Lurch, you are missing an oppertunity here mate!!!

Cheers guys
Stu

Sabre 75 should handle that lot Stu, best pack out there for the money IMHO

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
for carrying large volumes a Sabre 75 is my choice too... certainly worth trying one on loaded up. The quality is there so if it fits, you're on to a winner.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
This is the large sack i have for hiking expeditions and more than a night away.
The side sacks are not there (hence the +10) until you start filling them ans they can hold 5L each but also have their own compression straps.
The Bioflex back system is second to none - complements the movement of your back while you are walking.
http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1480&Gear=1

For one night or two i have:
http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1491&Gear=1

Both have pole holders and a decent back system and have the ability to hold hydration bladders.

If you wanna try sacks out go to a camping shop and ask them to fill the bags up with stuff to make the weight and then fit them to ur build and walk round the shop

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I find the here so spoken for Karrimor 75L to be definitely too soft for carrying heavy. You have to remember that it's based on a climbing sack, and you feel this heritage if you load it up with a lot of gear.
If what you have is bulky rather than heavy, and the sack fits your back, it might be your sack.
Otherwise there are, IMHO, better sacks out there.

For carrying heavy stuff in comfort, I'd go for the Berghaus Vulcan. The side pockets are big, and can be removed and used as a separate, small rucksack (same idea as for the Karrimor but a different system). The main compartment can be separated into 2 compartments, and it's got a rather large lid pocket.
This bag has been designed with carrying heavy loads comfortably and at the same time being tough as a coffin nail in mind. You have to find your size (it's made in different back lengths), and it'll be perfect.
I've had mine for the last 15 years, and used it in, literally, all conditions all around the world. It's never let me down and despite very heavy-handed handling, I will most likely wear out before it does.
I can't recommend this rucksack highly enough.

Now, if you want/need to carry really heavy, you should get an external frame rucksack. That'll be better than the internal frame ones. Try the Norrona ones. Not the cheapest ones, but oh so comfortable and they'll last you a lifetime or two.

/ Karl

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Gone for the Sabre 75 from Lakeland Bushcraft (mention BCUK and maybe get a discount, although the prices are good to start with), although if i would have seen Karl5's post I think my decision would have taken a lot longer.

Cheers everyone

Stu

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Gone for the Sabre 75 from Lakeland Bushcraft (mention BCUK and maybe get a discount, although the prices are good to start with), although if i would have seen Karl5's post I think my decision would have taken a lot longer.

Cheers everyone

Stu

Damn....does that mean I have to carry my own bergan now?:rolleyes:

Did you get the side pouches and yoke too?

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think you`ve made the best choice Stu, I got rid of my Vulcan after I`d borrowed a Sabre for a week. I find it so much more comfortable and with the side pockets aswell it easily big enough for my needs.
IMHO the problem with the big issue packs like the PLCE and Vulcans is that it`s too easy to fill them up because of the huge volume, a smaller lighter pack makes me think about what I`m carrying now. It`s not just a case of chucking all my kit in, I actually take what I need now rather than what I might need.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
You mite want to check out the Highlander Forces 88.

forces_88.jpg

you can get the info from here .

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr3369.html

Very comfy and fully adjustable they are also Very tough.

Kev.
(no affiliations etc. Just a very happy owner )

ASH

Feb 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
I have read this thread with interest, initially because I had a spare rucksack (60L) that I no longer use, but I am not sure what you mean by "Heavy". I understand from experience some camping gear/clothing can be bulky especially for winter trips or if carrying a lot of food.

My question to all is do we really need to take all that stuff with us?

I am sure you are all experienced outdoors people and know how to use every bit of kit you have, but does your bushcrafty skills allow you to carry less.

For example the use of a tarp instead of a tent with a light bivvy bag will weigh less and use less room in your rucksack than a standard 1/2 person tent or even a hammock & underblanket.

It should be possible to go out for a couple of days with between 12 & 15kg of kit including food without sacrificing any comfort.

I think a lot could be learn't from the lightweight backpacking community in this respect, equally they can and do learn from the bushcraft community.

I am aware of an uneasy relationship between light/ultra light backpackers and the buscraft community but both teach skills that allow us to stay out longer and in more comfort.

I don't mean to rant on here I just thought that someone should question the prescribed logic that a 70L rucksack is needed for most trips out.

I know I have probably started a whole raft of counter arguments but that is good as it informs people new to the outdoors and the kit available what is actually needed and in what circumstances.

I may start a new thread about this when I get a chance so a proper debate can be had.

P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone and I am no expert on anything I just like to question things until I understand them.

ASH

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The thing to remember is, if you have an 80L rucksac, you will take 80L. It is the rule.

I like the climbing style of Rucksac, basically no side pockets, but you could add them, PLCE style.

The Snugpac Rocket, is going to be my next sac, I think. Like the versatility of it.

Also I agree with what Ash said, you could go to some of the Lightweight hiking sites. I think we tend to hike like the military, and they have re-thought it completly. Lots of interesting ideas, not sure I would go as extreme as them, but some of the simple stuff makes a lot of sense. Like ditching the big breathable jacket, for a layered system.

The true pro of the lightweight system is that you get to enjoy your enviroment. My understanding is the founder wanted to walk barefoot, and the current thinking was you needed boots to protect your ankles when carrying those sort of loads, so he stopped carrying those sort of loads. He found he doubled his distance, and looked around, rather than looking down struggling along.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't mean to rant on here I just thought that someone should question the prescribed logic that a 70L rucksack is needed for most trips out.

ASH

Not ranting Ash, just debating :D

For winter camps or multi nighters my Sabre 75 is pretty much full, I don`t know about anyone else. By the time the doss bag and underblanket have gone in, there`s just enough room for the rest of my gear which is all key equipment. I don`t carry stuff just for the sake of it these days like I used to do.
For summer I can see your argument as I`d cut down on the doss bag rating/bulk and lose the underblanket, then I can think about using a 45L say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE