RSJ/Lintle.....any idea's? ? ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Guys,

For reasons best know to him my Father bought me an angle grinder for Christmas, seeing as I've never done any metal work and had no plans to I can only imagine that he's going to be asking to borrow it sometime soon!!!!

Anyway, when I moved into my house about 3 years ago I inheritted a 15 foot length of RSJ/Lintle which has sat at the end of my garden behind my log cabin since.
I was going to use my new angle grinder to cut the thing up so I can get it down to the local dump but then I thought.....I have a little workshop and now I have steel....maybe I'll have a bash at making myself a knife :?:

I figured as long as I don't aim to high....how can I go wrong! I also happen to have cut one of my apple trees right back last year and have some nicely seasoned apple wood left that I can make the handle out of....

I have tools and a bench with a vice and an electric grinding wheel and I even have a rivvet gun.

So....I don't need help or advice on actually making the knife (although as and when I get stuck I will be calling on your guys to help me!!! :eek:): ), I prefer to make my own mistakes and mess things up in my own particular way (best way to learn I think) and I have a rough plan in my head but I need to ask you guys three questions first....

1) Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't use the metal from an RSJ to make a knife (If the answer is yes then the project stops here as I don't want to buy anything for this....I want a free knife).

2) What's the black layer of "stuff" between the knife tang and the wooden handles on most bushcraft knifes and what's it for and made of....do I need it?

3) How do I make the knife all nice and shiny after I finish it.....the RSJ is rather dull and oxidised but I'd rather my new knife looked a bit like I'd made an effort with it.

If you could answer the three questions I'd be very greatful. :super:

Cheers,

Phil.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
1) Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't use the metal from an RSJ to make a knife (If the answer is yes then the project stops here as I don't want to buy anything for this....I want a free knife).

don't know someone else will have to pipe up regarding the metal.

2) What's the black layer of "stuff" between the knife tang and the wooden handles on most bushcraft knifes and what's it for and made of....do I need it?

It is spacer material. I don't think it is essential but it will add to the finish of the knife. Joe at outdoor supplies sells it or I have some spare if you don't mind red.

3) How do I make the knife all nice and shiny after I finish it.....the RSJ is rather dull and oxidised but I'd rather my new knife looked a bit like I'd made an effort with it.

the shine is just sharpening, polishing and buffing. Look at a gransfors axe, mostly as it came from the forge except for the sharpened edge.

Bill

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol....two out of three ain't bad Matey..... Many thanks :wave:

Do you know what the spacer stuff is made of? It looks like thin plastic, is that all it is? If so do you think I could improvise with the black plastic from the tray of a microwave ready meal or similar?

As you can tell, I want to do this partly on the cheap but more importantly out of things laying about my home....bit of recycling....just to see if I can :?: :eek:):

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
bambodoggy said:
Lol....two out of three ain't bad

Do you know what the spacer stuff is made of? :eek:):

are you a meatloaf fan?

it's called vulcan fiber

I would guess it's highly vucanised rubber. Same sort of thing as a hocky puck would be my guess

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
The steel from the RSJ is mild steel, it can't be hardened to make a good knife. You can use it to practise on and I use an angle grinder to rough grind my blades which saves a lot of time and money. Cheap sources of suitable knife steels are files, leaf springs on cars and trucks and saw blades. Keep about 6 inches of the RSJ, they make good anvils.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cool...thanks Chaps....... looks like this will be a practice knife then :eek:):

Good tip on the anvil idea, I'll do that.

Andy....could I use the cut open rubber from a bike innertube as the spacer then if it's rubber?

Oh and NO, definately not a Meatloaf fan...the food or the singer! :nana:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
It's not vulcanised rubber in the same way as innertubes. It is fairly stiff material not bendy like the rubber you are thinking of.

Bill

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
You could try using an old (or new!) plastic file or binder for spacer material; gives you a range of colour options, as well as plenty of cheap material to make mistakes with!

:eek:):

Danzo

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'm not sure how vulcanised they are. I guess if your making a practice knife then you can find out. It's worth noting that I haven't sen a single kitchenm knife with vulcan spacers. I don't really see the need othwer then looks

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Dunno if it is vulcanised or not Andy, as to be honest I don't know what vulcanised means! Predigested by Mr Spock?

:shock:

I have been told that quite a lot of even quite well known knifemakers use plastic file material as spacers between scales and tang, as opposed to a spacer between handles and blade.

:)

Danzo

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
right I'm now going back to A level physics so may be a bit off. If it's too off topic feel free to deleat or move as the mods see fit

valcanisation is the process of turning the ruber that you get from a tree or in most cases a substitute into something useful. I think it was first developed by a Mr Charles Goodyear. (Nothing to do with good year tyres other then they named it after him as a tribute). What your basicaly doing is getting a load of polymer chains of molicules which will stretch a lot and adding links between more chains so that it's harder to stretch/bend etc.
You just add more of the chemical your using to vulcanise the rubber to make the rubber less stetchy (higher youngs modulus). We got to play about adding a chemical to PVA glue and making bouncy balls.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Danzo said:
I have been told that quite a lot of even quite well known knifemakers use plastic file material as spacers between scales and tang, as opposed to a spacer between handles and blade.

Ok....Mr Thicky here: What are scales?

Oh, also....I have an old knackered lawnmover with the flat horizontal spinny round blades (rather than the drum type I mean)....would this be better to use than the RSJ for a more permanant knife?

The idea is, as a total beginner, to fumble my way through to a useable knife without shelling out ANY money on materials.....

No real reason.....just a little project I dreamed up while wondering what to do with my new angle grinder!!!! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Danzo said:
So why does spacer material need to be vulcanised?

:?:

Danzo

good question. errrm softer stuff will deform and could get bits of grit in allowing for water to get in. Then again rubber seals are relitively soft.

just a thought. I may be wrong

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Another option instead of vulcanised fiber is to use some wood veneer, alot cheaper and you can match it to the main wood and put a contrasting colour between it and the main piece of wood. ???...you know what i mean....

If you are looking for a piece of tool steel for the blade i might have a spare piece you could have, i will have a dig about, not certain i have any left but i will look, would 4mm be ok ?

Michael

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Lawnmower blades are mild steel in my experience, you should be able to pick up old files at junk shops and car boot sales, its cheap steel to practice stuff like grinding and heat treating if you want to do that as well. Files can make very good knives. The first knife you make is always special, I made mine 30 years ago from plywood, it wasn't very good at cutting though!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
mmcniven said:
If you are looking for a piece of tool steel for the blade i might have a spare piece you could have, i will have a dig about, not certain i have any left but i will look, would 4mm be ok ?

Michael, that's a really kind offer and thank you very much but I really want this first knife to be totally "junk" made from bits and bobs I find around the house and garden. It's also going to be a pain for you to ship it down to Surrey for me. Again, thank you very much for the offer but I'll politely decline :You_Rock_

Top Idea on the wood veneer but again as I don't have any laying about at home it can't be used in this project.....lol....which started off as a way to make use of the angel grinder my dad bought me and is now turning into a small scale "Scrap heap challenge"...lol :rolmao: I'm fairly set on the cheap plastic file idea for the spacer now.

I've got a couple of old right-angle pickets at the bottom of the garden holding up an even older chain-link fence.....are these any good does anyone know?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE