Rowen Berries

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,

I have just found a nice mountain ash in fruit. I know the berries can be used but I have no idea when its good to pick them and how to process them. Anyones experience or knowledge would be most welcome please.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Leigh: I take it you're a tree fan, I've just checked the references in your signature line and found all sorts of good stuff about trees. I got some good KMI files for google earth from them including an Autumn colour one and an ancient trees one.

:approve: :cool:

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,

Yes a big fan of trees. I downloaded a lecture on permaculture which was interesting. The guy too a few acres of bare field and over 20 or so years turned it into the garden of eden. This was in australia i think.

It was hugely rich in all food sources. Fascinating stuff when you consider we could use this in the UK. A few acres could feed you year round if you included animals and fish.

I am not sure what a KMI file is though!

Those woods are my main visits. Especially the SSSI as its over 500acres and not much of a tourist attraction.

I was reading it is good to let the berries have a frost as it takes the bitterness off a bit. So I wasn't sure when best to harvest.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,
Just been reading vague references to rowan berries being poisonous and nothing to specific about the poison and how to eliminate it. So I might be giving this one a miss for something a little safer......

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Most have stopped calling it "Mountain ash" due to the fact it isnt from the "ash" family, its from the sorbus family. I still call it mountain ash though so :p to em. :eek:

A lot of the fruit trees here are kicking off very early. I have a favourite cherry tree that has already been pretty much been picked clean already (and not just by me).

The local mountain ash berries seem to look past their sell bye date already..

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I find if I leave mine for the first frost, the birds have them all first!

Hey AJB,

You can do the same with Rowans as you can with sloes and so get the jump on folk. Pick them before the first frost, place on a tray spread thinly and pop in the freezer on a high setting. Has the same effect of softening, sweetening and splitting the flesh.

But leave some for the birds too - they need them unlike us who just love them :D

TTFN
Goatboy.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Rowan berry jelly is great stuff though bitter and really an aqquired taste.

Dont let that stop you from trying it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE