Rowan bow

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
does anyone have any info on making long bows out of rowan, ie is it any good what sort of thiknes do i need ect bla bla bla,

any help would be good, i would use yew but dont know were there is any,

i can get my hands on some rowan so this is why i ask ?

Thanks Andy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've been making a bow from rowan for over a year now (i'm a little slow) and it's a lovely wood to work with, can't really give you any specifics cos i don't have any. not a longbow tho, more of a plains indians inspired flat bow. one of the reasons i chose rowan was that mr mears recommends it as an ideal wood for a first bow in one of his books.

cheers

stuart

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I believe its a good wood to use for bow making, atleast acording to a quick search over on paleoplant. I have also been keeping my eyes out for a nice rowan stave. The wood is meant to be a little bit better than ash plus all the rowan i see knocking about is nice and straight growing.

Let us know.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Rowan usually does grow straight but buts prone to twisting, I split out some bow stave years ago from a nice straight tree but they would have made better propellers.

Andy

Has a smell not dissimilar from cat pee IIRC .

Legend

Mar 11, 2007
Dubai, U.A.E.
Wellllll, the only wood available to me is pine, and ANYTHING is better than pine!

The safest design to go with for a bow is Flatbow. With the pine I make it 2" wide and use a 'board' about 0.8"" thick. I cut off the excess wood in the length and glue a 10" section to the middle to make the solid handle (shape it once finished. I make it a thick handle because if I cut into the 0.8" bow to make the handle it'd probably snap)

I taper it from 0.8" at the start of the handle to 1/4" at the very tip. I taper the back&belly (looking down on the bow) starting from 16" away from the tip to 1/2" at the tip.

Obviously this is nothing like a Yew longbow, but the longbow design would fail miserablely with pine.

Hope this helps... You can find a bowyering tutorial on the internet and combine these dimensions with their techniques.

Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE