rowan berries

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
yummy

went into the woods yesterday and picked a basket full of rowan berries making loads of jellie and muffins mmmm luvly

all i need now is a pheasant or some venison

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
make as you would jam but with less sugar ;; boil it then add the sugar ( about 3/4 a bag dep on desired sweetness ) bring it down to a low heat for around 12 hrs thats about it i think

bartjeuh200

Nov 2, 2007
Lembeke, Belgium
Correct me if I'm wrong:

But whatever you do to them, don't eat them raw as they contain a poison. You always have to heat them, as the poison decays when heated. Probably some cyanic-y stuff in them?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I don't think you're wrong. Just looked on Wikipedia:
Rowan berries contain sorbic acid, an acid that takes its name from the Latin name of the genus Sorbus. Raw berries also contain parasorbic acid (about 0.4%-0.7% in the European rowan[3]), which causes indigestion and can lead to kidney damage, but heat treatment (cooking, heat-drying etc.) and, to a lesser extent, freezing, neutralises it, by changing it to the benign sorbic acid. Luckily, they are also usually too astringent to be palatable when raw. Collecting them after first frost (or putting in the freezer) cuts down on the bitter taste as well.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
make as you would jam but with less sugar ;; boil it then add the sugar ( about 3/4 a bag dep on desired sweetness ) bring it down to a low heat for around 12 hrs thats about it i think

Why the 12 hours? That seems very excessive to me. surely you simply have to reach the temperature which is required for it to set?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
in ray mears wild food book, i swear to god he said he found no way of making them safe even after 17 different methods

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
in ray mears wild food book, i swear to god he said he found no way of making them safe even after 17 different methods
He says they tried 16 different methods of preparing the fruit and all produced a result that was unpalatable..

he also metions the fruit contains a number of toxic compounds and there is evidence they may cause poisoning...

but i'm quite happy with the rowan and crab apple jelly I made last year :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rowans are a common addition to jellies up here, as well as an occasional nibble once the frosts set in.

On their own they are too swersh........mouth dryingly bitter........to be used so we add them to apples or to mincemeat type mixes to be served with game.

As rowan and apple jelly they are served like marmalade.

Basically weight for weight fruit and water. The rowans are maybe eight or nine big spreads in 3kgs of apples. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the fruits break to mush, usually well under an hour. Pour into a jelly bag (or muslin lined sieve) and hang to drip overnight. Don't squeeze or you'll make cloudy jelly.

Next day, measure liquid and add a gram of sugar per ml of liquid. i.e. Iltr gets Ikg added.

Bring slowly to a rolling boil, meanwhile wash and warm jars. Test for setting by dribbling a little on a cold plate. When the surface crinkles, it's ready to be potted. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool a little. Pour into jars and seal with wax papers and jam covers.
Keeps for ever..........unless ancient uncles and sons find out it's in the pantry :rolleyes: :D Awfully good with oatcakes and cheese :cool:

The rowans can be carefully picked over, topped and tailed if needed, and added to spicy fruit mincemeat mixes too. Makes lovely stuff :)

I can't tell you whether this is safe or not, but we crush them and dry them and they get used as an addition to flu buster teas. I don't know if this partial fermentation/ drying destroys any toxins or not. Please use as info only.

cheers,
Toddy

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
raw berries are fine raw as long as you dont eat more than half a handful its said to be good for the system but did you know the sap of rowan will give you a headache if you cut the tree down it gave me a migraine once i had the chainsaw going and bang i couldnt see lucky i knew where the off switch was the woods also good for bows and keeping witches away

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
yummy

went into the woods yesterday and picked a basket full of rowan berries making loads of jellie and muffins mmmm luvly

all i need now is a pheasant or some venison
A shade too early for either yet round here

Check back in a few weeks! :D

Partridges soon though :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: Sorry, yes, one head or spray of berries, fair sized ones I mean.

Fruit leathers ? Oh no, too, too sour / bitter. Maybe mixed ................maybe.:yuck:
On the other hand, if no one tries it we'll never know :)

cheers,
Toddy

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I made wine with Rowan berries last year. I found it rather bitter, but some found it quite palatable.

Maybe I'll have another go later in the year. Perhaps using the jelly, rather than the whole berry, see how that comes out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE