Round Braided fire bow string

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok mates...Here we go I am posting this so that you may acquire good strong bowstring for this application. You can use any fiberous material that you cam make cordage out of ie; jute,cedar, even toilet paper.

But get some Kangaroo lace or ROO lace that is the best material.

Step 1. make 4 plys of any cordage material I have colored this string to help you with tracking the movement.

Cross the outer ply under the middle two.

Next once you have crossed under the two middle you'll bring back the side closest to the side you started with for example you start with the right side you go behind two middle plys the one closest to the right bring back to the right side with the original ply.

Repeat this process alternating each side until you have the desired length.

Have questions send me an email thanks!

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
nice, i could see it making a good bow string.
might try it instead of a flemish twist.not quit sure how to go about a loop tho :thinkerg:
chris

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Chris, If you start with two long lengths of fibre and fold them in the middle, that'll give you the loop you need for the top knock. Then you just round braid the four strands to the length you need for the bow. The two strands of the loop can then be whipped as you would the other servings. The bottom end is whipped and tied in a timber hitch to the bottom knock. That's how I do mine.

Eric

Edit: Oops! Just noticed Brian's post was for a fire bow string. I was thinking archery. Same principle though. I have found braided strings for a fire bow to stretch a heck of a lot. Brian, do you put a central core in these?

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Eric_Methven said:
Chris, If you start with two long lengths of fibre and fold them in the middle, that'll give you the loop you need for the top knock. Then you just round braid the four strands to the length you need for the bow. The two strands of the loop can then be whipped as you would the other servings. The bottom end is whipped and tied in a timber hitch to the bottom knock. That's how I do mine.

Eric

Edit: Oops! Just noticed Brian's post was for a fire bow string. I was thinking archery. Same principle though. I have found braided strings for a fire bow to stretch a heck of a lot. Brian, do you put a central core in these?

I was not very clear in my first post! I meant to say I would be trying this method for longbow strings. But thanks for the info, I was sort of coming to that idea myself. It just looks like it would be ok for a kids bow? Thanks again
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE