Rough Close ~ Midlands ~ September'11 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

Decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs - Come hell or high water.
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest - non BCUK friend (again TBC)
Sasquatch and possibly Joseph TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + my pal dave
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
luckylee and maybe my son. kian.
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC (work permitting)
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
Bodge and Adam (possibly swmbo tbc)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just a quick heads up for an announcement to be made at the end of the week. Nothing major or amazing and nothing to be concerned about ~ but attendees will need to be aware of an important change in plans which I'll be editing into post #01 at some point over this coming weekend.

Time for a bit of a tidy and to put a name back in.

Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
TurboGirl & son
FruitBatInShades

Last edited:

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire
I've been asked by Lupin Rider if I'd demonstrate how to carve a netting needle as he missed out on my class at the moot.

He also asked if I could demonstrate net making as well. The net needle is fine but my net making skills are a bit weak so that bit will be interesting :rolleyes:

Anyway would anyone else be interested joining us in carving some netting needles as it's a good skill to have and teaches some good knife handling techniques.

Mesquite, I will be up for that!

Sep 15, 2011
Reading
Hi All,

Just by way of introduction, I'm Dave and will be attending with Lupin Rider (I'm his +1!).

Looking forward to the meet!

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
TurboGirl & son
FruitBatInShades
Cliv

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Sasquatch
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
TurboGirl & son
FruitBatInShades
Cliv

Tidied up, no Joseph this meet, just me...

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Don't worry mate, we're all oddballs at heart.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your axe too.

Ok then, though I am not sure how I officially add my name to the list. I have never really properly introduced myself anyway, I wouldn't call myself a "bushcrafter" I am someone who camps usually as a means to an end, because I enjoy being out of doors, mostly alone or in the company of one other, taking in the sensory experiences of nature that can never be fully reproduced by photography, though I do have a go at it. Please though don't laugh at my little chopper :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ok then, though I am not sure how I officially add my name to the list. I have never really properly introduced myself anyway, I wouldn't call myself a "bushcrafter" I am someone who camps usually as a means to an end, because I enjoy being out of doors, mostly alone or in the company of one other, taking in the sensory experiences of nature that can never be fully reproduced by photography, though I do have a go at it. Please though don't laugh at my little chopper :)

Done for you:)

Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Sasquatch
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
TurboGirl & son
FruitBatInShades
Cliv
Laurentius

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh, HWMBO is making noises about coming too possibly so I've added him on :)

Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Sasquatch
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
TurboGirl & son (possibly HWMBO TBC :)
FruitBatInShades
Cliv
Laurentius

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I've got a coupla questions which I haven'r answered through post #1 or the general etiquette guideliness (apologies if some breach propriety, am noob to group/ forum camping)...

1. should we bring tools to help with your planned maintainence and if so, what?
2. is the naughty corner for general loud, lewd and drunken behaviour? Is there anything frowned on especially? (at least I'll know where to find HWMBO...!)
3. If I can get the chainsaw out can I bring a swedish candle to try? Might there be trunks there if c/saws are allowed- I know I only have 1 suitable trunk...
4. Got a calor bottle fire but presume this will be surplus to the main fire... should I bring with wood in case and leave in vehicle?
5. is the vehicle park a goodly walk from the camp?

Thank you, folk :) Best go get on with that underquilt now :) I'm presuming there'll be about 50% swingers and can't WAIT to not be a loner for a change!! Very much looking forward to meeting any woodwomen going =)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A few changes to the set up :eek: ~ all the information below has been edited into post~01.

WE WILL NOW BE ON PC11 AND NOT ON LEADER TRAINING AS PREVIOUSLY STATED.

In the pic below, the virtual 'campfire' placement pin marks the approximate position of the bottom corner of PC11. The BLUE line marks the approximate route of the track which leads to the main access point to the pitch.

I have put a couple of extra details onto the map ~ toilets, water etc and I'm leaving both RED and BLUE routes on for reference .

There will be one or more workshops available at this Meet.

I
nformation of what/where/when etc and spaces/places on them will be made available at a meeting (aka Morning Prayers) to be held at 09.30 on Saturday Morning ~ attenence of Morning Prayers is in no way mandatory.

Please note that the 'Carve a Netting Needle' workshop is now full.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've got a coupla questions which I haven'r answered through post #1 or the general etiquette guideliness (apologies if some breach propriety, am noob to group/ forum camping)...

Always better to ask :cool: ~ especially as there are a few changes afoot.

1. should we bring tools to help with your planned maintainence and if so, what?

You just need to bring tools to get your own camp chores sorted. There's a bit of site _stuff_ going on at the moment, so wood that still has roots attached to it needs to be left alone (whether it's dead or alive). We'll cover it in a bit more depth at Morning Prayers (see post #01).

2. is the naughty corner for general loud, lewd and drunken behaviour? Is there anything frowned on especially? (at least I'll know where to find HWMBO...!)

A bit ~ but not excessively so. Acceptable behaviour is generally covered by

Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited! Please don't walk through another groups pitch whilst drinking alcohol and/or smoking.
Please keep ‘colourful language’ reasonable and to a reasonable volume

which is in the Helpful Info section of post #01.

If you're in doubt, tone it down and watch what the regulars do ~ they know the score.

Although the pitch is ours to make use of, it's a scout site and the little beggars do have a habit of, every-so-often, popping up here and there ~ and, if they see 'stuff' going on, they do tell their leaders. Ask, at the Meet, about ripping the heads off of invisible rabbits ;) .

Again, if in doubt, just ask yourself whether it might annoy an axe and knife weilding neighbour :lmao:

3. If I can get the chainsaw out can I bring a swedish candle to try? Might there be trunks there if c/saws are allowed- I know I only have 1 suitable trunk...

You can make and bring a nurding ~ you won't be able to fire up a chain saw on site and doing so will elicit a negative reaction and endanger our ability to hold Meets on the site.

4. Got a calor bottle fire but presume this will be surplus to the main fire... should I bring with wood in case and leave in vehicle?

If you wish to cook on a wood/charcoal fire, then you need to have a way to have it raised and contained ~ much of the site is mulch and it can hold a smoulder under ground for a good time.

There will be at leat one communal type fire. All are welcome to join the circle(s), offerings of a chunk or two of wood tend to be greatfully received ;) .

5. is the vehicle park a goodly walk from the camp?

We can (generally) drop kit off at the car park attached to the field adjacent to PC11. This car park is for the use of those using the cabin/field and there will be a group on it this weekend. So it's a case of check for space, ask whether it's okay to drop kit off and, if all goes well, return the vehicle to The Campers Car Park.

Thank you, folk :) Best go get on with that underquilt now :) I'm presuming there'll be about 50% swingers and can't WAIT to not be a loner for a change!! Very much looking forward to meeting any woodwomen going =)

There will be a fair chunk of tree huggers on the pitch :cool: .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Very much looking forward to meeting any woodwomen going =)

Looking at the list there's at least one possibly two women besides yourself coming to the meet :)

There will be at leat one communal type fire. All are welcome to join the circle(s), offerings of a chunk or two of wood tend to be greatfully received ;) ...

I usually play host to a fair few folks around my fire... whilst we all enjoy having a few drinks of an evening :rolleyes: it's usually never to excess so it tends to be the not so naughty corner :rofl:

Feel free to bring your chair and join us at any time and if you wish to cook bring your pots and pans :). As Decorum said a contribution of wood will be gratefully received :D

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
In case anyone's missed it, Google Earth is working in some older arial pics ~ some older arial pics are quite recent :rolleyes: . Coventry's alternative arial pics are from 1945 ~ the misalignment of the over-lay on the old pic is nothing to do with me; Google hasn't been wholey accurate in its matching up of old and new :( .

Anyway, the pic below is from the year prior to Rough Close coming into Scoutings possession ~ and yes, it was predominently scrubland with nothing much above head height :yikes::camping:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE