Rough Close ~ Midlands ~ September'11 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Ozzy great if you can make it for September but if real life gets in the way then that is just Sod's law kicking in.

As regards colder months you could always come along for a day visit just to see how people vary in their set up - you will probably end up totally confused but you shoud be able to see what adaptations you may need to make to your existing stuff to be able to get along comfortably when the weather is colder and damper. (A key feature is to be able to delude yourself on that point - I have achieved a black belt in delusion and am aiming for my first Dan (!))

Last edited:

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Bit of a tangent, but if i bring a reel of bowstring and a reel of serving is anyone going able to show me (name your tipple in advance) how to make a bow string and to wip the ends into loops?

Despite its inherent wonkyness im rather proud of the father and son bow that george talked me thru at the moot, i'd like to be able to make a bow string that fits and then i can repeat to make another in the future.

Last edited:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Depends what kind of a string you want, I can happily bring along our string jig and knock you out recurve strings but they may not suit. I can also have a look for some Flemish twist instructions if no one else volunteers.

Ozzy

Sep 5, 2011
Warwickshire
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs - Come hell or high water.
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Sasquatch and possibly Joseph TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + my pal dave
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
luckylee and maybe my son. kian.
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC (work permitting)

Thanks for the welcome Mesquite, Elines and Wayland! :) Glad to know if I make it to this one I won't have to face initiation alone :D you say under moonlight?....I'm hoping for it to be overcast then! ;)

Thankfully I'm already about a blue belt in delusion I'd say, these skills really come in handy when working out the reasons why I haven't caught anything when night fishing!

Really hope I can make it along, thanks for what already feels like a very warm welcome guys. Now to carefully plan what kit to bring, so as to not completely embarrass myself on my first outing with you guys! :p I'm more tempted to bring a tent than tarp for this one as I don't have a hammock or bivi bag just yet (which I think going forwards in the future may be my prefered option to save weight).

Really looking forward to see what kit you guys take out and to practicing and learning a few new tricks :)

Ozzy

freedom

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2011
liverpool
corum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82
Bayleaf
Freedom Phil

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As a general guide, Don't get too hung up on how you think we'll look at your gear.

I certainly don't travel light to meet ups, I've usually got enough kit for a small army.

Make sure you have comfortable sleeping kit and shelter, a tent is absolutely fine. Bring a chair for sitting around the fire in the evening (Everyone misses that one first time round)

Other than that you just need some food, comfortable clobber to stand up in and anything you want to mess around with over the weekend.

As Nesmuk says, "We don't go to the woods to rough it."

If there's anything particular you need help with just ask, everyone is really willing to help or point you towards someone who can.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Now to carefully plan what kit to bring, so as to not completely embarrass myself on my first outing with you guys! :p

Bring what you're happy and comfortable using :cool: .

I'm more tempted to bring a tent than tarp for this one as I don't have a hammock or bivi bag just yet (which I think going forwards in the future may be my prefered option to save weight).

On the ground, with or without a tent, or between trees ~ it's all cool :cool: . As mentioned above, comfort is key to a good night's kip and you should utilise what use what you're happy using ;).

One of the upsides of Meets is that you can pitch your tent and then sleeping under a tarp ~ if you find that you don't like being under a tarp, get up and get into the tent.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

Decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82
Bayleaf
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)​

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester

Decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82
Bayleaf
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune​

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been asked by Lupin Rider if I'd demonstrate how to carve a netting needle as he missed out on my class at the moot.

He also asked if I could demonstrate net making as well. The net needle is fine but my net making skills are a bit weak so that bit will be interesting :rolleyes:

Anyway would anyone else be interested joining us in carving some netting needles as it's a good skill to have and teaches some good knife handling techniques.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE