Rough Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Ok, here's my first attempt carving of a Lion for my two little monsters... I mean daughters.
I did try to make it more three dimensional, but as it was pretty small, there wasn't much room for shaping... but I did try.

I think the wood was pine (?), I should've asked but forgot as it was kindly donated by my Carpentry lecturer :) and was stained with Mr. Sainsbury's cheapest olive oil.

If anyone has any advise or tips for how to improve etc, I'm all ears... well, not literally :D

szhkwj.jpg

50pr1h.jpg

29y5ix5.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, apart from the funny long hairs :rolleyes: right across the carving, I think its pretty perfect as it is! Sure your little monsters will be really happy with it. Yes, it is pine. Really nice job.. and it's your first! Small carvings are not easy to do, it does not take much to mess them up, try on something a bit bigger next time, it's easier to disguise mistakes:D Don't ask how I know that...

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Ahhh, now I thought the smaller the area the less chance of me messing it up :D

As for the funny hairs... it was the only way I could think of doing the mane, it seemed like a good idea at the time lol

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Ahhh, now I thought the smaller the area the less chance of me messing it up :D

As for the funny hairs... it was the only way I could think of doing the mane, it seemed like a good idea at the time lol

Nah, not the mane! I like the mane! I was trying to be funny:eek: , talking about the grain of the wood!!!

A small cut on a small carving can really ruin your evening! it takes a proportionally large chunk of your piece and before you know it, you have to start again! trust me, i am experienced....Dont ask how:p

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
D'oh! Sorry, I got the wrong end of the joke... never mind :D

Well, I'm considering trying an Alligator or perhaps a Dinosaur of some type for my next project, assuming I can find some darker wood :rolleyes:

Still, it was mainly to get a little practice in before moving on to every Bush Crafters fave... Spoons and Kuksas (sp?)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for posting your lion, it's really good;)
like the idea of a dinosaur too. Of course an alligator shouldn't take long to make, assuming you make it "snappy":bluThinki

Yes.. ok!, ......I'm going anyway,:BlueTeamE

wheres my coat?

cheers;)
R.B.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Aligators are fun to carve out of suitable branches....green and soft. Then when they crack and dry, the gator looks even more beat up...

Looks great!!! Keep it up.

D

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
luv the lions,large or small,problems occur,thing is if you start with a large carving and mess up the carving just gets smaller! them frogs started out as a 3foot block,only joking! keep at it,use any wood you feel comfortable with (free is most comfortable) I,ve used everything from pine to lime,green to well seasoned and as long as your,re happy with it thats all that matters again nice job and thanks for your comments people,I really do appreciate them:drive:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE