Rosewood puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
G'd evening

More Rosewood & a Lauri 95 blade. A simple puukko.

Whittled out the basic shape & fitted the ferule (witch ended up a little out of whack). Good friction fit along the tang - hammered the handle home with 2ton epoxy.

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_01.JPG

...and sanded & oiled...

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_02.JPG

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_03.JPG

...left the whittled finish on the butt...

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_04.JPG

...best i get on with the sheath.

Tat'a

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Many thanks for your kind comments chaps!

Here are some pics in daylight - it' cosmetic shortcomings are far more apparent but I'm quite pleased with it.

Tricky little things to fit those ferrules but I like the fact they enclose the end grain of the handle. Going to get strait on with doing some more, hopefully better - they are fairly roughly made & never going to be especially pretty but they seem to suit a basic user like this.

You can see where the ferrule shifted when I hammered it all together.

The neighbors cat was unimpressed...

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_05.JPG

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_06.JPG

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_07.JPG

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_08.JPG

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_09.JPG

Puukko_Rosewood_Lauri95_10.JPG

Too many pics, I know.

The rosewood was a legacy gift from a friend - his deceased father made snooker cues.

I'm not generally keen on buying exotic wood from far off lands - we have many fine sustainable ones of our own - it did deserve saving from scrap though. I has a nice 'waxy' quality that takes a great finish from the knife or sanded, rather like African Blackwood but not as heavy.

Toodle-pip!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great looking knife fella, ive not played with ferrules much, have to give it a go again soon.
I was given some red meranti for my exotic fix :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE