BK Beaver - mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Hey all. I know there was a fair bit of interest in this knife, and interest in who bought it... well, it was me. Hard to pass it up at that price and given the comments in the thread. So to some, BK's quality is well-known, so this is more for those who have not encountered their products yet.

http://www.bushcraft-kit.com/

First up i would like to say that i have spent untold years buying online from family businesses like this, and multi-billion pound companies. I have never once encountered an individual so dedicated to making sure the customer is happy and knows exactly what it is they are buying. We have been in daily communication, and Brogdan is as swell as a guy can be. Hats off.

Here is the sale description:

A classy whittler, with a slim look and an elegant combination of materials. The O1 high carbon tool steel whittler fultang blade has a scandi zero grind for precise and deep cutting and a fine tip for even the most intricate work to be accomplished with ease.
The slim handle is made from a combination of high quality materials perfectly fitted together.
Steel/brass "rain drops" mokume was the choice for the bolster and the Carpathian walnut root is the material used for the scales; black v fiber was used as liners.
To secure them to the tang 8mm assorted mosaic pins were used in order to complete its elegant look.
The knife comes together with a nice vegetable tanned ox leather sheath, specially tanned to fit with the knife.

I had high hopes. I was not let down.

The build quality is fantastic, on par with some of the far far more expensive knives i have used or owned. I paid £95 posted from Romania, and to me, that is unparalleled value (not to mention it came with some free flumps! it's the little things that count)

When i first approached Brogdan, he told me that it was called a beaver due to the way it was designed to eat through wood. Taking it out of the sheath for the first time, it was razor sharp, i took it to a piece of green wood i happened to have, and it made my brand new mora 106 feel like a fisher price training blade in comparison. While it may not be quite so good for fine detail, the thicker blade makes it far more practical and versatile. To the point that if required, this could happily work as my sole bushcraft knife despite the whittling-inspired profile.

Time for some (poor quality) photo's courtesy of my aging HTC one

IMAG0240_zpsmd6lylls.jpg

IMAG0239_zpsremygg9x.jpg

IMAG0238_zpsnyx1mmpd.jpg

I love how the non-scandi section of the blade has visibly been ground along the length of the blade, it give the blade a bit of character and contrast. The wood chosen for the handles is also of exceptional quality and match the knife beautifully. Some knives i've seen seem to use any old cut or grain so long as it is "walnut" etc. This one looks like the scales were chosen specifically. The mosaic pins(?) look reall great on this knife, and really work well with the gold detailing. The only drawback i can see of these, is that the holes are slightly too narrow for typical diameter leather cord, however because this is a whittler, having a lanyard on the knife is not really needed or useful, compared to a true bushcraft knife. I also really like the use of a subtle black liner on this knife. Too many i see have slightly gaudy bright blue/orange etc liners.

One item which might irk some, but actually really pleases me, is the imperfection in the gold detailing. See below

IMAG0236_zps42ceyrms.jpg

It is very much imperfect, from the small scratch in the gold, to the shaky circles (which the camera didn't pick up). This could be annoying to some, but to me, i love it. It reminds me that this has been hand made start to finish, that it is unique. Nothing worse than a hand made item that looks like it just came off a production line.

Oh, almost forgot. The sheath. Superb. A really natural looking leather, and the camera doesn't show it well, but it blends beautifully from a deep chocolate brown to a dark rich brown at the stitching.
IMAG0241_zpsu1kblchf.jpg

Overall, no valid complaint :) I'd happily have paid far more for this knife now i know the level of quality Brogdan puts out.

Edit: I should add that when first picked up, the handle ergonomics didn't feel like it would be comfortable over time, from the small amount of work I did with it, it cuts well enough to mitigate this more form over function handle shape.

I am so impressed with the knife and the level of service that I have commissioned a completely custom knife job from Brogdan, from blade(s) to sheath, and with a very acceptable predicted 5-6 week turnaround. Slightly more appealing than the 12+ months quoted by other makers. I'll be posting up a VERY picture intensive thread on that in the new year :)

Hugh

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The imperfections you mention is mokume gane, a method of joining yellow and silver coloured metals toge ther(usually silver and copper) it is difficult to do and part of the attraction is the non uniformity of the end product. Yours is particlarly even compared to many I've seen.
It is an exceptionally good value package as it sounds as good as it looks.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
The imperfections you mention is mokume gane, a method of joining yellow and silver coloured metals toge ther(usually silver and copper) it is difficult to do and part of the attraction is the non uniformity of the end product. Yours is particlarly even compared to many I've seen.
It is an exceptionally good value package as it sounds as good as it looks.

That sounds very interesting. I will read into that at some point. Even more impressed then. I'm very new to all of this, so it really isn't much of a review but a basic user experience. But a good experience :)

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I've said it before and i'll say it again.....Stunning !

Having trouble with the muktiquote system on my phone. But yes, the sale thread was so positive that I didn't feel I was taking a gamble and did not even Google into their reputation.

The commission I have in progress should be absolutely fantastic.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Beautiful work and great review! Mukome gane making takes a very talented smith too! Always liked bogdans work

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
There will be no full review. Not for now at least. Partly because I really don't know enough about knives to offer any more input than that (as a chef, so long as it is comfortable and sharp, job done :) ) and in part because I don't actually have anything to use it on but my old dried firewood. Looking forward to going back to Somerset over Christmas and loading up on wood from the garden and woods and really put this through its paces.

Yeah, at Brogdans price point, it's hard to consider buying anything else (not that it stopped me from paying out for a hopefully great Damascus that will be going straight to another member for a different commission)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE