Rosehip syrup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
Hi guys, ive just collected a few of these and got a recipe. It mentions that the syrup only keeps 'a few days' once opened, any idea how long it will last? could this be improved by adding a campden tablet? cheers.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Don't know how long it lasts, but it is supposed to help people/animals with arthritis and joint problems, so you'll be bouncing around like a puppy again !.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi guys, ive just collected a few of these and got a recipe. It mentions that the syrup only keeps 'a few days' once opened, any idea how long it will last? could this be improved by adding a campden tablet? cheers.

Depending on how much sugar there is, in my experiance up a week in the fridge before it gets too funky to consume. In truth I prefer to dry rosehips to preserve them. I have made a small quantity of fruit leather as well which was really nice, but very fiddly to prep . i don't know about the campden tablet (i don't home brew), but you can sort of extend its life by reboiling as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you post your recipe ? If there is sufficient sugar then it ought to be as stable as jelly.....that's jelly jam not table jelly.

Campden tablets will just leave it tasting of chlorine I suspect. If you are really having a problem freeze the syrup in ice cube trays and just thaw out as needed.

cheers,
Toddy

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Could someone post a method/recipe? I have long had knee problems, maybe this could help. I've been using ginger which relieves pain but I haven't done a full course of treatment as it is a bother to do everyday...

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
Thanks for the replies everyone, my recipe is as follows:

1kg of rosehips
2.5 litres of water
450g granulated sugar,

just boil the rosehips with the water and strain through a muslin bag. Pour juice into sourcepan and boil with sugar till it has all gone, then boil for 10 more minutes before bottleing.

I was only going to make the syrup as my book says its hard to do anything else with the hips due to the hairs on the seeds,but i am open to any ideas people might have? cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, that's a syrup but not one that saves the VitaminC or makes really preserving strength sugar solution.

Basically, look for a wartime recipe for Rosehip syrup that's rich in Vitamin C or follow the no cook version that takes about a month.

Boiling destroys the VitaminC so the wartime recipes call for as little boiling as possible, i.e no reducing of the liquid.

The long term ones don't add any water but simply use the sugar to pull the liquid, vitamins and all, out of the hips.

What you have a recipe for would be better made in very small jars or bottles and used up relatively quickly. Or frozen, as previously suggested.

Tastes good though, doesn't it ? :D Excellent on ice cream or over a sponge pudding, or even just by the teaspoonful :)

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Okay, that's a syrup but not one that saves the VitaminC or makes really preserving strength sugar solution.

Basically, look for a wartime recipe for Rosehip syrup that's rich in Vitamin C or follow the no cook version that takes about a month.

Boiling destroys the VitaminC so the wartime recipes call for as little boiling as possible, i.e no reducing of the liquid.

The long term ones don't add any water but simply use the sugar to pull the liquid, vitamins and all, out of the hips.

What you have a recipe for would be better made in very small jars or bottles and used up relatively quickly. Or frozen, as previously suggested.

Tastes good though, doesn't it ? :D Excellent on ice cream or over a sponge pudding, or even just by the teaspoonful :)

cheers,
Toddy

Short periods of boiling does not actually ‘destroy’ the vitamin C, in so much as cause it to leech in to the water. This, if you are using the water, is not as much as a problem as it would be if you were throwing the water away. Boiling for extended periods, 10 minutes or more will eventually destroy nearly all water-soluble vitamins

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Ahh, interesting. Thanks. I wouldn't know where to look for the wartime recipe so maybe I'd ask my partner. She's the one who likes rosehips and often makes rosehip tea by boiling up halves for about 5 or 10 minutes. Earlier in the season I de-seeded a few, hairs and all, by pulling them apart in a little running water, but it's a bit wasteful of the water so perhaps there's a better method. Also, they weren't as tasty as the shop bought ones for some reason. I hadn't heard of using it for joints though. The ginger compress I've been using is hot when applied topically with a flannel.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you get meadowsweet where you are bushtuckerman ? That's Filipenula ulmaria......it's the best topical analgesic/ anti inflammatory I've ever found for aching joints.
The rosehip extract is taken internally and the stuff sold in tubs is very concentrated.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have found with dog rose hips, if their has been a good frost the fruit meat becomes easier to remove from the seed. I simply pinch off the black tip and squeeze the meat out gently, that is how i made a fruit leather with them in past. It is still very time consuming.

I need make an ear spoon, i swear viking women used them to deseed hips etc etc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I make rosehip and aple jelly.
With this you dont have to remove the seeds, you just boil the fruit whole until soft and pulpy and put it through a jelly bag.
OK the long boiling probably does for the vit C - but it still tastes great with white meats or just on toast!:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, I'm not a medical herbalist and as such it is illegal for me to advise others to take any herbal treatment.

On myself however, I either take the meadowsweet flourish as a tea, it's like a flowery aspirin :D or I tincture the roots (vodka works) or I pound the roots and soak them in oil for a few days somewhere warm. This strained oil, or the tincture I add to a little beeswax to make a cream. I find that the cream is anti inflammatory and analgesic.
It smells like a kind of spicy germolene :) quite pleasant.

Does this make things clearer ?

cheers,
Toddy

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Over here in Czech, where somehow bee stings are common, they cut an onion and place it on the sting, the pain is relieved instantly as I was stung myself (poor bee had me step on its clover flower) and can attest to it. After a few minutes you cannot feel it at all except for the sensation of where it is. Obviously, like with a dockleaf on a stinging nettle sting it somehow reacts with (neutralises?) the poison, but unlike docks it's much much more effective.

Ignore this part of the wikipedia entry on bee stings, as rubbing is not involved. Perhaps the onion being cool does have an added effect. I am not convinced it would be a neutralising effect either though, because I believe both onions and bee stings are acidic:

Wiki said:
Many people do claim benefit from these home remedies but it is doubtful they have any real physical effect on how much a sting hurts or continues hurting, the effect is probably related to rubbing the area or the mind perceiving benefit.

:confused:

Don't rely on this to work if you are allergic...but hopefully you don't need me to tell you this anyway.

The use of the plantain sounds interesting, especially since it is so readily available and easy to identify.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE