Rope

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
I was wondering if anyone carries rope not including paracord. What sort is it and what do you use for i.e. climbing, repelling or other.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Macaroon said:
... I just start talking
Spinning a yarn, eh, Mac?

If I think I'm likely to need a ridgeline, I pack a 10m-ish length of 8mm, 3-strand Hempex synthetic hemp (polypropylene). Mostly I don't bother as I usually set my tarp to poles.

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I was wondering if anyone carries rope not including paracord. What sort is it and what do you use for i.e. climbing, repelling or other.
I would only carry a rope if the terrain required it....unless it was required for something specific.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
From what I've done in the past and what I cam imagine doing in the future I would never carry rope out in the sticks. Unless you are going climbing as well I can't think of a situation where it would be worth the extra weight/bulk. Thick string would cover most needs. Ok you can make your own cordage if you have time and are inclined but string is something I always carry.

Carrying a rope just in case is a bit D&D, like a flask of oil, iron pitons and a 10 foot pole. Not that I'm knocking that, come to think of it, when I intend to make a full length Ranger cloak sometime soon....

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I have 9mm and 7mm pulon utility rope, but then i also do have a collapsible grapppling hook as well.
use it mostly for tying down trailer loads, have used on steep slope as safety, wouldnt abseil on purlon of coarse

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ya Know summat?
I dun seen spellins for this art as wide as Absailing, Abseiling, Absielling, Rapeling, Reppeling, Rappeling, Rapelling, Repeling and more
Tis still just falling off a cliff holding onto a rope as far as I am concerned!
I carry a hank of thin but strong hemp or jute line for general use, sisal rope (home made) and/or some paracord or utility cord of various thicknesses - it depends on the days plans.
Cheap paracord goes with me everywhere...
I no longer go falling off cliffs either with or without ropes... if I can avoid it

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
As a mountain leader and climbing instructor I would suggests that nobody carroes a rope for abseiling or climbing unless they know what they are doing with it. Chances are that having one with no knowledge will lead you to a situation where you end up in real trouble.
paracord is always in my pack in the woods.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Puts me in mind of Lillian Beckwith's book "A Rope In Case" where the locals always had a bit of rope with them on the croft as it came in for a myriad of uses.
I agree on the having it making some get into silly situations though, if you don't have a knowledge of how to use it trying to scale a face either up or down can be more deadly than not having it and wandering around it instead. Used to be a constant worry when I stocked "confidence ropes" that folk would get into daft possitions. Always asked if they knew what they were doing before selling one.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
As bugs bunny once put "ok doc, i'm giving you all the rope you need(to hang yourself with)"

The tying up of wood packages, the making of washing lines, the lowering/raising of packs on steep inclines if needed. Anythink called abseiling I would steer clear of. But I suppose that falls into the catagory of paracord, if you hammuck you have it already.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I generally carry a toggle-rope and have been amazed at the number of uses I find for it, it's a bit like the shemagh, only the imagination (or lack of it) limits the number of uses.

DB

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I used to carry a 10m length of rope back in my 135l webtex ultramax days. Long gone from my outfit now along with a lot of other unnecessary (for me) items.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Toggle Rope ???

Sent from somewhere?
A toggle rope was part of the standard equipment of British commandos and the Parachute Regiment during World War II. It was 6 feet (1.8 m) long, and had a toggle at one end in a tightly fitting eye splice, with a larger eye at the other end. This enabled them to be fastened together to create an ersatz rope ladder, or to secure around a bundle for hauling, among other uses.

014.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE