Rope sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yep, that's right. That stretching is what saves a climbers life in a fall. (Well, assuming you're roped in) Don't ask about my un-roped ice-axe berhshrund fall. Very bad story! :27:

Adam

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Nemisis said:
Thanks for the warning goose I thought the stretching would only happen in a fall
Dave.
It depends on how far apart the trees are, but I have put up my hammock drum tight nearly, got in and been touching the floor half an hour later, restrung hammock and then it stretches again but slower, I need a static rope! :lmao:

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
addyb said:
Yep, that's right. That stretching is what saves a climbers life in a fall. (Well, assuming you're roped in) Don't ask about my un-roped ice-axe berhshrund fall. Very bad story! :27:

Adam

Oh go on, I cant resist, tell us the story Adam.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It doesn't stay stretched, but I found using it with the hammock I would put it up tight sit on it for a while and would have to retighten then it would stretch some more.
It is not a noticeable stretch normally, like bungee, but enough to make it a pain when using.
Static(abseil) rope should be ok, as would accessory cord(usually static) but I have found climbing rope isn't really suitable for hammocks.

As Addyb says dynamic climbing rope is designed to give in a fall to slow you before stopping. It is usually around the 10% mark but it can vary from rope to rope.
Static rope usually used for abseilling/rappelling or SRT (single rope technique) is usually low stretch or semi static and stretches around 3% and is unsuitable for (most) climbing or fall arrest systems. A fall on static rope can be dangerous due to the higher G force on arresting a fall, but the low stretch makes it better when you are climbing or descending on the rope as there is less bounce and the rope is usually stiffer making devices (or prussiks) easier to handle.

I think indoor walls use semi static rope for top roping, as it is harder wearing and the falls when toprope climbing have different dynamics to lead climbing, so I may have a word with my local wall and see if I can get some old rope to try. The rope will not be suitable for climbing but will be ok for hammocks, so maybe we can recycle some! :27:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
haha okay. You guys really want to hear this story? It's actually quite stupid.

Well, everyone knows that Vancouver Island has some crazy huge mountains, and some of them are quite challenging to climb. Well a couple of years ago, I was on a trip up one called "Kings Peak" For whatever reason, we decided not to rope in. (BIG mistake) So we were going up a col on a semi-permanent snowfield and there was a bit of an overhang at the top. My ice-axe slipped out of the snow, and because none of us were roped up I started to tumble down the col. I was working on doing a self arrest, but I wasn't fast enough and fell into a berghshrund, which is a small crevase between the snow and the rocks. I fell in, and broke three ribs. But it gets better! The guy above me watched me fall, and tried to grab me. He fell too, and landed in the bergshrund soon after I did, really badly spraining his ankle. Obviously, that was the end of that trip, we all had to walk it out without bagging the summit. Broken ribs and carrying a pack is NOT comfortable. The good part was that after we all drove home, we got gloriously drunk, and it made it all better. :)

The moral of the story? ALWAYS rope in!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Dunno, to be honest!
I think it has more to do with how the rope is made rather than the material.
The straighter the strands the less stretch it has, the stretch comes from the rope straightening under pressure, there is a bit more to it than that but it is basically how it works!
Is Purlon paracord? Is it kern mantel construction, a central core with an outer sheath? Para cord is generally low stretch as the inner strands which give the high percentage of strength run straight and parallell inside the outer sheath.
I would try it and see, 9mm should be strong enough but obviously try it safely first, try making a tight rope with it and bouncing on it, should test it pretty well!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have some 9mm Purlon rope - sold widely under Webtex or Tracpac brands. Olive green. It is not kernmantle, it is of double braid construction. I don't know if it's nylon or polyester. I've not checked to see if it will float.

Instead of fusing the ends I decided to back splice them, so this meant taking a section apart. It seems remarkably well made considering the price (6 or 7 quid for 50 feet). It is not sold as climbing rope, and should not be used as such, although if you had climb down it in an emergency I think it would support your weight.

Interestingly the 5mm purlon rope is also double braid, but the 3mm is kernmantle and seems to be medium quality paracord.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry, I don't know. There is no information on the packaging.

In view of this I might be reluctant to use it for any critical application. However as other braided 9mm ropes have breaking strains (safe working strain being rather lower of course) of around 2000kg, I expect it would be ok for hammock use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE