Rootin tootin cowboy camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Pics as promised, sorry to anybody that's already seen this!

Photo0001.jpg

Photo0005-1.jpg

Nothing pretty but it works a treat at keeping embers off my snugpak and similar round fires and it's warm. I made it big to go over layers.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I'd like to see the shirt sasquach! I'm sure others would too.

My wife can sew and has a machine but I'd need a pattern piece to get the shape right?

I made one a lot like his and you don't especially need a pattern. I just cut mine out on brown paper and then pinned it together to see if it was right and adjusted the shape until I got it right.

Hope this helps

Cheers

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hazeldean's right, they really aren't hard to do and no patterns needed.

Wool for camping is like anything Sam, some people love it, some people don't. It's heavy and bulky and just as warm as a fleece. It doesn't smell bad after 2 days though and sparks are no issues with it either. Just depends what you like I guess...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wool's positive attributes:
1. It maintains most of its insulating ability even when wet
2. It's quiet (doesn't rustle)
3. Good wool is durable
4. It doesn't pick up funky odors easily (as Sasquatch said)

Wool's negative attributes:
1. It's more costly than some fabrics (not so with other though so this may even out)
2. It picks up a static charge easily so be careful wearing it when refueling a vehicle
3. Even though it maintains it's insulation when wet it does gain weight (be careful around deep water)
4. I shrinks easily when washed so you need to carefully hand wash it in cold water and let it air dry to prevent shrinking
5. Most dire of all is that if you find you like it, it will be very, very addicting.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Hazeldean's right, they really aren't hard to do and no patterns needed.

Wool for camping is like anything Sam, some people love it, some people don't. It's heavy and bulky and just as warm as a fleece. It doesn't smell bad after 2 days though and sparks are no issues with it either. Just depends what you like I guess...

just when i thought i had every last bit of kit i need, you've now gone and put the idea of a wool shirt in my head:rolleyes: i'll have to have a look at yours at the next meet if thats cool buddy :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
just when i thought i had every last bit of kit i need, you've now gone and put the idea of a wool shirt in my head:rolleyes: i'll have to have a look at yours at the next meet if thats cool buddy :)

No worries, just remind me nearer the time so I remember. They're a great little project if you do an hour here and an hour there with a beverage and a spot of music going. I want to do another without a hood this winter, I reckon I could do a much better job than my first attempt!

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Have to agree with sleeping in wool blankets - i'm starting to dislike doss bags for anything but the coldest weather. two wool plankets are cosy quiet and not sweaty & clammy.
The shirt is inspired - i may do one for the winter.
If anyone wants a starter pattern this site is excellant http://www.elizabethancostume.net/smockpat/ ignore the title and feed in the dimensions that you would like - it will give you a printout that you can cut from - also works for a dark ages kirtle if you are getting into reenactment.

cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE