Rootin tootin cowboy camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Well, not really but I did wear cowboy boots?!

Photo0003.jpg

I wanted to go out with no extra kit and sleep under the stars a la Jonny Reb. First order of business was to build a base of leaf litter;

Photo0335.jpg

Then I put down an IPK, laid out an old basha and 2 wool blankets.

Photo0344.jpg

It was quite windy at night but only rained briefly so I didn't get wet. The basha kept the wind off and the wool blankets were nice and cozy...

Photo0002.jpg

Kit was what I felt I needed and nothing more. It was nice to keep it real simple. It consisted of a water bag, Wilma's super sausage wax, a shemagh, plastic kuksa, a penlight, my very first real knife from when I was 9, flint and steel plus tinder and a crusader tin plus some simple food not pictured.

Photo0342.jpg

The job lot was quick to set up and easy to pack away. The diy bedroll was massive when rolled up and tied in the basha but didn't weigh a lot, it got slung over my shoulder on the hike in and out. It was real nice to get back to basics...

Photo0341.jpg

Food consisted of salami, spring onion, and nettles fried on flat bread with sweet onion relish and cheese all rolled up. There were pignuts in abundance so I had a munch on a few of those followed by a tin of tropical fruit and a bag of olives. Real basic stuff and only took about 5 minutes to cook and prepare.

I'll be doing this again soon as I enjoyed getting back to a nice simple camp. It's been years since I've done one like this but used to be the norm when I was in my teens. Thanks for looking!

Chad

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
Nice camp setup, been looking into a bedroll myself.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your boots as mine have a hole in and I cant find a supplier in the UK for a reasonable price?

Thanks
Nathan

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Nice set up ! back to basics and the grub sounds nice to ,but should you not have just had beans ! now that would have been cowboy camping :lmao:

Jason

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks everyone! I got the boots off ebay for a real good price, it just had to be done really. Beans are always a good choice for grub, especially with fried onion and a handfull of brown sugar thrown in. Proper cowboy snap! The Wilma's wax is actually called Nordic Summers I think, it's a bug dope that seems to attract mosquitos in the UK when I put it on. Smells nice though, real manly!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The blankets were spot on, I was going to bring one then thought better of it, I slept like a baby!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE