Rootin tootin cowboy camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
what did you do to pass the time? looks good fun, bit hard to find days that aren't gona be wet or raining but I'll give it a try sometime.

What is the lumberjack style shirt? I've been looking for a nice one like tyhat..any idea where I could find one?

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
what did you do to pass the time? looks good fun, bit hard to find days that aren't gona be wet or raining but I'll give it a try sometime.

What is the lumberjack style shirt? I've been looking for a nice one like tyhat..any idea where I could find one?

Check out the autumn guide shirt Wayland's wearing, that's the one in the picture;

http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page27/page27.html

They're not cheap but I love wool and treated myself to one last year. I wear a lot of Pendleton as well as they're cheaper...

I dug up pignuts to pass the time, walked around looking at things, drank a tin of lager whilst lying on my back in the sun, admired my folding knife I just sharpened and buffed up, that sort of thing. Life's been a bit stressful as of late so it was nice to just kick back and relax in the woods and enjoy the nice weather!

The whole reason I brought the ipk was in case the weather took a turn, I could have had the blankets on the ipk and rigged the basha up to keep the rain off and sit under. Obviously it would make more sense to bring a tarp to put up first but I figured the weather would hold and wasn't too bothered if I got wet...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
sounds really nice mate. holy .... the guide shirt is pricey! shame, it looks lovely.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work my friend, Cant wait to do a bit of that. Old Jake would be proud :)

Get some Coffee on the go though next time, it'll add to the manly smoky aroma.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Looks good sasquatch.

I like the boots. How about a "show us yer cowboy boots thread"? :D Here's a pair of mine.

cowboyboot01.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Damn! Mighty fine boots there! Mine were cheap off ebay, they're nothing compared to the ones I had when I lived in Canada but they're long gone now I'm afraid. I'll get a picture of mine up tomorrow but they'll look pretty pale in comparison to yours, thanks for sharing.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
can i ask how did you tie the roll?

I folded the smaller blanket and put it in my Swedish pack, the larger Dutch blanket and wool shirt got rolled up in the basha and I tied it at the ends and in the middle with one long piece of paracord. It isn't small by any stretch but once in a while it's nice to leave the sleeping bag and bivi at home and get back to basics. Well worth a try Sam!

Thanks Paul, proper coffee's definately on the agenda next time, that was the only thing lacking this time out...I didn't want to faff about with billy cans for cowboy coffee but it's just not the same without a real brew!

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
sasquach are you going out another cowboy camp anytime soon? If you are make sure to stock up on some of this! ..http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/scandinavian-goods/woodsman-spruce-resin-chewing-gum.htm it looks so cool!

anyone ever tried this before?

I've always been tempted to try that but haven't ordered any yet. When I was a kid growing up surrounded by wheat fields we just chewed the grain until it turned into a similar texture to gum. Didn't taste like much though!

Thick wool shirts are expensive to buy but they're not hard to make with an army blanket, I've done one real similar to the one's santaman linked. I can pm you a picture if you want?

I'm getting real busy with my second job now the weather's nice so I don't know when my next camp will be. I'll definately be having another go with this set up and cowboy coffee as Addo mentioned so it won't be too long hopefully...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
+1 on Sasquatch's last post. The one I linked is about 1/2 the price of the one in his pic BUT!! I expect the postage cost from the US would eat any savings away. So if you can make your own that would be the best way to go.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The bison bushcraft shirt I have is probably the most expensive extravagant bushcrafty purchase I've made to date but sometimes you gotta treat yourself!

Pendleton stuff is great but always on the small side after years of washing and never very thick. Making one is definately the way forward and not hard to do, it just takes time to sew it by hand like I did if you don't have a decent sewing machine. I'll post a picture tonight, I did bring my diy one and used it as a pillow but wasn't cold enough to wear it.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd like to see the shirt sasquach! I'm sure others would too.

My wife can sew and has a machine but I'd need a pattern piece to get the shape right?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE