roomy 4 season bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
Does anyone have any recommendations for a sleeping bag or system, suitable for winter use, that is a bit more on the roomy side?
I'm reasonably tall and haven't been able to get comfy in mummy bags when they are done up. I like/need to be able to move my legs and tend to just open mummy bags up and use them like a duvet. I'm not confident that will work in sub zero temps. and from what i've read so far, the colder the rating on the bag, the narrower they need to get . Any recommendations or ways round this would be appreciated. :D

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
If you've been using your bag as a quilt and it's worked for you so far, see how far you can go with it. I use quilts for camping. When it gets too cold for the insulation thickness, I put on a beanie and jacket.
Or consider a down filled liner to use with it.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I'm 6'4" and quite broad in the shoulders and I've been using a Stormlite zephyr 400 from Field & Trek for the last year, they're pretty big, 230cm long x 85cm at shoulders if I remember correctly.

They're about £40 and quite nice, I've used it under a basher in Feb and Nov and it's been good. I've also got a fleece bag liner - can't remember if I was using that as well or not though!

You can also get some bags that have a zip-in expander that well does what it says really! Can't remember the make now, there is another thread on the subject in here somewhere - see if you can find that.

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
I suggest a Western Mountaineering "Ponderosa." Big enough so you can sleep with one leg bent. Fine workmanship. A truely nice piece of equipment.
Steve

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Euh, I have a US army modular sleep system. It is bulky, a tad heavy (4.2 kg with the goretex bivy) not really cheap (arround 200$on ebay) but spacious and warm, no, I mean hot.

Have a read to this:
http://forums.outdoors-magazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=7010

The good point is that it is fully a 4 season, adaptable, will last some good time, and is comfy, is sufficient to sleep in France (my case) or UK all year round (unless you decide a night at 3000 metre altitude in the middle of winter).
The less good, is the bulk and weight compared to more modern and recent specialized gear (also much more expensive), but no need to carry everything all of the time either.

I got it recently, and appreciate it a lot.

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Softie 12 Osprey with an expanda panel!

It's the most luxurious sleeping bag I've ever slept in. Mine has lasted 8 years and plenty of use and still looks like new. It's like being wrapped in a really nice down duvet. the panel makes it nice and big with a lot of extra room for moving the legs.. I cant sleep with my legs together.. need some room for "the boys" to breathe!!!

Quite expensive though, doesn't pack as small as the newer sleeping bags and because its pertex, it's pretty horrible if it gets wet on the inside cos it sticks to you. Other than those points, I cant fault it.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
thanks alot for all your suggestions so far :D sounds like there's lot's of bags out there that might suit, it's invaluable getting the opinions of people who have used the kit . :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE