Ronnie Sunshine Cast Iron Cookware??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Just wondering what the quality is of the Ronnie Sunshine cast iron dutch ovens and griddles?

For the price, I assume that are made in China?

I am considering getting a set, but would like feed back/comments first..

Regards,

Peter

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's extremely good quality.

To be honest I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about it so rest assured you're buying something that will last a long time if you treat it well :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not who or where it is manufactured, but it is very good stuff!

I've got a 4 litre dutch ovens and stand, with hanging chain and it's very very good, it's all good quality, well made and being cast iron it's robust too! :)

Mines had plenty use, but I do only use it in close proximity to something, I never ever carry it, and haven't even bothered with it in the canoe, but they're great to use if your not going far!

Hope this helps! :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I've got the set that's comes in a wooden box ie griddle dutchy n pan.its bang on I even use it in the kitchen aswell as camping

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I will say that with the set in the wooden box I've got.the Dutch oven Is a. 4 litre I think.its good for stews n what not for 2 or three people but if you wanna cook larger meals get a bigger one.depends on your needs really.

leon-1

I have the set as well. I also cooked a chilli con carne in one of the dutch ovens a couple of nights ago (they are about 4 litre), there was enough for three maybe four at a push in there. As to quality, they are as good as many other makes and being sold all over the place as well as Ronnie Sunshines themselves. I actually think that the set itself is good value.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Thanks for the replies everybody..

I need to decide exactly what to get now..

I am looking to cook for maybe 2 to 4 people initially and as a more "adventurous" alternative to the standard picnics /disposable BBQ's. My other half is not into camping at all, but come the warmer weather she is happy to sit around a campfire somewhere and have a glass or two of wine and a bite to eat..

I don't really need a tripod as I have a rebar " goal post" setup I can use to hang stuff over the fire..I think a griddle and grill should be next..I have a stainless steel rack/shelf out of an old cooker which could be pressed into service as the grill, I would just need 4 cut down steel "pickets" to act as legs.

I also have a kettle suitable for campfire use, so really I need to decide whether to use a cast iron fry pan or invest in a griddle, and whether to get a cast iron dutch oven or a large zebra billy..To be honest, I can't see me doing any baking in the field, but more stews and curries, and I'd probably prepare these at home and just finish them off over the campfire..

Regards,

Peter

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Another quick question about Dutch Oven sizes..Will an 8l be big enough to roast a decent size chicken? Looking at their specs, they all seem to be 12" diameter but only 5" deep, which seems a touch shallow for roasting?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you want to roast a big bird use a bin, have a look at the Suffolk groups Christmas meet thread to see what I mean

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another quick question about Dutch Oven sizes..Will an 8l be big enough to roast a decent size chicken? Looking at their specs, they all seem to be 12" diameter but only 5" deep, which seems a touch shallow for roasting?

DOs are usually measured by diameter for serious users. And they come in both normal depth (about 5' as you stated) and "deep." The regular ones are fine for stews, beef roasts, and other shallow or "flat" dishes, but the deep ones are much better for deeper meats such as fowl or for baking breads which require room to rise.

An example of a regular one and a deep one for comparison:

Regular: http://www.logcabingrub.com/image/cache/data/Camp_Chef/sdo12d-500x500.jpg

Deep: http://www.rei.com/zoom/714247_9996Lrg.jpg/440

Last edited:
Only thing i would recommend is if you can inspect and pick the one you want (this goes for all makes ) make sure the lid sits flush all round you get the odd warped one which dosnt keep the steam in or the ash out etc

plus i would recommend the ones with a lip on the edge for top coals (not all makes/models have them)

for roasting a chicken i have a large one but its to shallow so spatch cock to flatten it

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE