Leather roll for carving knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having used a bunch of army surplus tent pin bags for storing my various wood carving knives for many years I finally bit the bullet and decided to make a dedicated roll for the, I had a piece of thick upholstery leather about the right size so I used that, not really my colour but iths thick and was free!

4E0Y3uH.jpg

v2aMh4i.jpg

I saddle stitched it with thick linen tent thread. It took two days on and off to do it, a half competent machinist would have taken 10 minutes! It's mainly for working out side so I may wax the shiny side.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Can do one easy enough!

4opkSBl.jpg

All the usual Scandi suspects, not used the two knives in the right yet, Only handled and sheathed the Garland Alan Wood Carver a couple of weeks back and the leeetle Brusletto Rognald, well I got that for the wife at least 17 years back as a 3rd Wedding anniversary present (leather, well the sheath is...) and recently repossessed it as it was still unused! OK truth be told I read a excellent review of it and went looking for it. But it was still unused and I swapped it for another unused knife so alls fair as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately at the start of the week I did something to the extensor (?) tendon in my left hand so although I can just about sew carving would be a bit dodgy.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks!

The second one for the left, I think thats one we goy In Estonia back in '98 on our honeymoon, Scandi knives were very cheap and for some reason then out of production Airfix kits. So guess what we hauled back!

All it says on the blade in electric pencil looks like " Jisaule " The back of the sheath has a lot stamped into it but most is illegible. the last word is definitely "FINLAND" but before that it looks like" JAKKI JARVENAAOY KAUAVA " with a fair sprinkling of double dots over the As. I keeps a good edge anyway, Theres a crack forming in the bolster but nowt that bothers me.

ATB

Tom

The decoration on the sheath looks a lot like on the woodcarvers knife here

https://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html

so it's a Iisakki Järvenpää and thats Isakki on the blade,

Last edited:
Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
nice job, I've been thinking I should make one for years and have never, but i should, I've got knives kicking about and not being looked after. Thanks for the inspiration and pics goodjob

Reactions: plastic-ninja

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE