Rogue boots which one to choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 18, 2008
Barnsley
Hello im looking for some advice on the rogue ranger rb2 and rogue trans africa boots which one is best? I am concerned about the rb2s because they sound as water resistant as a sieve but is it worth paying the extra money for the trans africa. On my feet i wear a pair of light walking sock ontop of a water proof seal skinz sock, can some one show their veiws or recommendations?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Lots of reviews about:

http://www.woodlife.co.uk/2008/02/07/rogue-ranger-boots-review/

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Clothing-Boots-coats-gloves-etc/Rogue-boots-made-by-Selke-Leathercraft-in-South-Africa.html

I have a pair of the normal Rangers and, yes, they are not 'waterproof'. However, I have increased the water resistance using Nikwax. The bottom line is that they are summer boots.

Having said that all, they are very comfortable and breathable.

If you value the 'waterproof' aspect, then I guess it's a no brainer: go for the Trans-Africa.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I'd sure like to hear from anyone else who has had positive experiences with the ranger boots. I found them neither breathable, nor water resistant (never mind waterproof). As described in the review that I wrote, I didn't get on with them at all, however, I fully recognise that a sample size of one :rolleyes: should not be taken as statistacally significant! I may just have been unfortunate, in addition to to a bit stoopid :banghead:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd sure like to hear from anyone else who has had positive experiences with the ranger boots. I found them neither breathable, nor water resistant (never mind waterproof). As described in the review that I wrote, I didn't get on with them at all, however, I fully recognise that a sample size of one :rolleyes: should not be taken as statistacally significant! I may just have been unfortunate, in addition to to a bit stoopid :banghead:

Chris,

As you said yourself in the review, you used a number of different treatments on them and this may well have effected the breathability. I haven't had that problem but perhaps my feet don't sweat as much! (I honestly couldn't think of a polite way of putting it!)

Admittedly, I don't do any more than 5-6 miles walking at a time in them but I didn't buy them as long distance boots.

I suppose the bottom line is that they designed for use in Africa on the Veld and we have somewhat different conditions here in the UK.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't had that problem but perhaps my feet don't sweat as much! (I honestly couldn't think of a polite way of putting it!)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: VERY possible :p I had never thought that my feet were particularly prone to sweating before buying the Rogues, but you might have a point.

I read one of the other reviews and the guy there said that he use a little dubbin and that they were water resistant. I ended up lathering on the treatments because the light treatment with dubbing and Nikwax didn't do anything and the boots got soaked.

I am sorry to say that I am still looking for a set of boots as good as the $30 end of line pair of waxed Merrels that I bought many years ago. It seems like you have to hunt pretty hard now to find any boots that don't have a membrane. I recently got a pair of Meindl light weight suede/nylon boots. The sizing was a bit narrow, and they are still warmer than I would have liked, due to the membrane they have, but they look after my feet better than the Rogues, so are an improvement, but still not quite what I was looking for.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I know what you mean. I bought a pair of ankle-high Columbia summer boots about 8 years ago in the US from a bargain footwear store. Cost me about $20 (which was abut £11 at the time!). Best fitting pair of boots I've ever had!!!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
So neither are any good? are there any alternatives?

Sorry - we're not answering the question, are we?

I guess certainly the Rangers are not really ideal for the UK. Can't comment on the Trans-Africa but if they are more water resistant, then they'll be better for UK use. The sole units are basic with very little cushioning, so it depends on your own feet/biomechanics as to whether they'll suit you. The first thing to do is throw away the insoles - they are nothing more than a thin strip of leather off-cut - and get some decent insoles.

In terms of alternatives, it depends what you want. If you're after a pair of lightweight summer boots, check out Millets, TK Maxx, etc. You may be able to get a good pair of Hi-Tecs or Merrells. If you are specifically looking for a leather boot, then it will be significantly more expensive.

JohnB

Nov 26, 2003
Lancs. / West Yorks.
I added to Chris's review the short piece about the Rogue Trans Africa boots. I still really like them. They're very comfortable (even the OE footbeds aren't that bad!) and I have no problems with keeping water out (accept there's no waterproof liner). I said in the review I would buy another pair, and I still would.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE