Robin wood bushcraft axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kendodsworth

Jun 22, 2017
east yorkshire
Hi all,

Whats your thoughts on the Robin wood bushcraft axe?

Its exactly what I'm looking for in regards to price, weight and length (although I am looking for an old Wetterlings husqvarna ).

I like the GB small forrest axe but cant justify paying the price for it.

Do any of you guys have any experience using the Robin wood bushcraft axe?

Thanks

K

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
A friend of mine has one. Nice handle, kind of 'cheap' axehead, like axes in garden centers if that makes any sense. Does the job none the less. It has a bit more convex belly, so carving will be a bit more of a problem but it splits wood better than a SFA imo.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi all,

Its exactly what I'm looking for in regards to price, weight and length (although I am looking for an old Wetterlings husqvarna ).

I like the GB small forrest axe but cant justify paying the price for it.

Do any of you guys have any experience using the Robin wood bushcraft axe?

Thanks

K

Right now there is a good looking GB SFA in the Members Classified area, £70 delivered. Looks a good buy to me. If my SFA (bought in 2003) had a head malfunction, I would be snapping it up at that price. I have even considered buying it as a spare since I can only see the price going up.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Right now there is a good looking GB SFA in the Members Classified area, £70 delivered. Looks a good buy to me. If my SFA (bought in 2003) had a head malfunction, I would be snapping it up at that price. I have even considered buying it as a spare since I can only see the price going up.

My thoughts as well, it's a good buy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi all,

It all depends on what you really want. I am a little tired of the constant 'the only axe to buy is a GB or such and such axe'. I have around a dozen axes and they all do a very good job - even the two cheap tool shop mass produced ones. Not one of my axes is a GB axe or any other high-price hand made axe.

And that's the difference. Robin's axes are drop forged and kiln heat treated - that's why they are cheaper but it also means they should be very consistent. GB axes are hand forged the traditional way (though drop forging has been used since the industrial revolution). If you want a hand forged axe you'll have to pay the money; if you want a good tool that will last a lifetime you have a huge choice.

I don't buy hand made forged knives either - I like them, don't get me wrong, but to me, working in the woods every week, they are just tools.

Decide what you want out of it, look at the options, and make your own choice.

I'll go get another coffee now :)

kendodsworth

Jun 22, 2017
east yorkshire
I didnt even see that! A PM has been sent

£70 is probably my limit for a decent axe... The Robin wood ends up just shy of that price anyway.

I just couldn't find myself paying £100 plus for axe/tool

Cheers guys

Hantwo

Jan 29, 2019
Rainham Kent
It's a good around axe specially for the money, mine came razor sharp, it's a better splitter than the GB which is one of the reasons I wanted it, the leather mask is excellent if you get that, the finish of the handle is not up to GB standards but it's my favourite axe at the moment due to its versatility

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE