RM TVography - is this everything?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
looking through my computer files - this is what i have of RM on TV;

RAY MEARS WORLD OF SURVIVAL, SERIES ONE;
S1E1 - THE ARCTIC
S1E2 - ARNHEMLAND
S1E3 - SIBERIA
S1E4 - SAVAII, WESTERN SAMOA
S1E5 - NAMIBIA
S1E6 - THE SPICE ISLANDS

RAY MEARS WORLD OF SURVIVAL, SERIES TWO;
S2E1 - HEART OF THE RIFT
S2E2 - THE LAND OF GENGHIS KHAN
S2E3 - HEADWATERS OF THE ORINOCO
S2E4 - THE COROMANDEL COAST
S2E5 - THE BARREN LANDS
S2E6 - THE RED CENTRE

RAY MEARS EXTREME SURVIVAL, SERIES ONE;
S1E1 - JUNGLE SURVIVAL
S1E2 - ARCTIC SURVIVAL
S1E3 - PSYCHOLOGY OF SURVIVAL
S1E4 - SEA SURVIVAL
S1E5 - THE ARIZONA DESERT
S1E6 - ARNHEMLAND

RAY MEARS EXTREME SURVIVAL, SERIES TWO;
S2E1 - THE SAHARA DESERT
S2E2 - THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS
S2E3 - OUTBACK SUSVIVAL
S2E4 - MILITARY SURVIVAL
S2E5 - MOUNTAIN SURVIVAL
S2E6 - DESERT ISLAND SURVIVAL

RAY MEARS EXTREME SURVIVAL, SERIES THREE;
S3E1 - BELARUS
S3E2 - ROGERS RANGERS
S3E3 - ALASKA
S3E4 - NAMIBIA
S3E5 - THAILAND
S3E6 - NEW ZEALAND

RAY MEARS BUSHCRAFT, SERIES ONE
S1E1 - ABORIGINAL BRITAIN
S1E2 - AMAZON, VENEZUELA 1
S1E3 - AMAZON, VENEZUELA 2
S1E4 - AFRICA CAMP
S1E5 - AFRICA SAFARI

RAY MEARS BUSHCRAFT, SERIES TWO;
S2E1 - BIRCHBARK CANOE
S2E2 - CANOE JOURNEY
S2E3 - AMERICAN PRAIRIES
S2E4 - SWEDEN
S2E5 - FOUR SEASONS

RAY MEARS WILD FOOD;
E1 - ABORIGINE
E2 - COAST
E3 - WETLANDS AND RIVERS
E4 - WORLD OF THE HUNTER
E5 - WOODLANDS

RAY MEARS COUNTRY TRACKS
E1 - IMPROVISED WILLOW RUCKSACK
E2 - FIRE SAFETY
E3 - NATURAL FIRST AID
E4 - FOOD FROM THE HEDGEROW
E5 - KALAHARI BUSHCRAFT
E6 - WOODMANS TEA
E7 - NATURAL FIRELIGHTING
E8 - COOKING IN THE WILD
E9 - CAIRNGORM SNOW-HOLE
E10 - WOODLAND SHELTER

THE REAL HEROES OF TELEMARK, PT 1,2,3
TRIPS MONEY CAN'T BUY(EWAN MCGREGOR)

not sure if this is everything or not?
feel free to adapt/correct the list

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
There are the "Tracks" Series as well.

I'm on a work PC so i don't have the episodes to hand but there are about 8 of them IIRC.

Some of the simplest and useful bits of information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
There's more episode of Country Tracks than that, and also the 3 parter Real Heroes of Telemark.

Out of interest Gorilla, how long is your episode of Series 1 Episode 3 (Siberia) from the World of Survival series?

I have a copy but its been cut

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
That's a pretty good collection and would keep anyone entertained for plenty of time, but my earliest recollections of Ray were on a channel 4 yoof program called rough guide where he did a 5 minute piece I remember quite clearly his demo of building a coracle.

an odd sort of program cause it was aimed at trendy travellers doing gap year things also featured someone called Magenta Devine. Does anyone else remember this or is my mind starting to go?

Cheers Roy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
He does have a good back catalogue of programmes, just a lot of them are not available to buy because of some monkey somewhere! Everybody seems to forget the Ewan McGregor trips money can't buy that Ray was in. I still haven't seen it, and heard it was really good. I like to think that he learnt some stuff there that helped him with his bike trip round the world.

cccc

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
North Hampshire
an odd sort of program cause it was aimed at trendy travellers doing gap year things also featured someone called Magenta Devine. Does anyone else remember this or is my mind starting to go?

Cheers Roy

Was that Rough Guide ? I know she did something like that ( it was on before No Limits on BBC2 I think ).

I have heard of the Ewen programs, but I havent seen them myself. Any ideas on the shows name ?

Cheers

c

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Everybody seems to forget the Ewan McGregor trips money can't buy that Ray was in. I still haven't seen it, and heard it was really good

I always forget about this one, and I really want to see it!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Blimey a thread about TV programmes and I didn't write it ;)

Essential guide to rocks is another one - never seen it.

UKTV have a fortnight of Ray Mears programmes, woefully on the channels I don't get
but see this thread for more details:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22371

If you're able to get to London The British Library have two episodes of World of Survival
(Evenk and Namibia) - you need to get a readers' pass I think (you might even just be
able to arrange something). The British Library has other amazing programmes and
wildlife sounds (also, y'know, books :D ) and is always worth a visit!
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12244 (see Post 104)

The BFI database also lists some of the programmes, but is not complete:
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/individual/666213?view=credit

I'm adding your names to my list of people to bug to sign the poll / pledge / whatever
Tony decides to go with to get some of the earlier stuff released on DVD :p
As an example see: http://www.pledgebank.com/Mitchell-W - it so happens it was
successful but I doubt it was just because of the pledge.

Jo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll sign up for that! The only way we can get to watch many of his programmes is by downloading them from torrent sites, which is debateable to its' legality. Therefore, Ray is forcing his fans to fracture the law! What you gonna do about it Ray?!!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I'd bet it's unquestionably illegal to share or download material without permission
from the copyright holder. Threads that have mentioned such things have a tendency
to be moderated, unsurprisingly.

From other posts on the topic of releasing stuff I gather it's nothing to do with Ray or
Woodlore at all and entirely in the hands of the BBC. Specifically BBC Worldwide who
commission items for release (DVDs and that sort of thing) as opposed to the part of the
BBC that is the public service broadcaster.

The BBC have been trialling making programmes available by legal download and
in fact their online shop lets you download some stuff after payment. I think they are
to be congratulated on this and encouraged to expand their range :D

Though I'd prefer an actual physical DVD myself...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have bought all of the available DVDs, but the programmes I speak of are the World of Survival series, the Telemark series and the Tracks programmes. I can see no reason not to release these, but there you go. It is obviously up to some monkey at the BBC, so I won't hold my breath!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Yeah it's a surprise that they're not released as all of these series are broadcast (and
the ones already available on DVD) on the UKTV channels with some regularity. I'm
assuming that they've noticed there's a market for this sort of thing...

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
There must be at least 41 of (country) track's episodes;
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10381&highlight=country+tracks

I had the "Trips money can't buy" program with Ewan Macgregor in the Honduran(?) jungle on video but managed to tape over it...
It was a good program though, lot's of jungle tips like hanging a hammock and tarp in the rain and sharpening a machete with pebbles from the river. It was not only bushcraft though because the reason for the trip was archeological. There was a scientist with them and he showed them stone items of a forgotten culture.

Tom

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
The one with Ewan McGregor was an interesting programme. Does seem to me though a lot of stuff gets covered repeatedly. I.e. Lets put the hammock and tarp up, lets light the fire, etc. Still, good inspiring stuff and great scenery.
Anyone going to see RM on his Autumn roadshow?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Blimey you're right - I don't think that's listed in the BFI database though it should be.

If you have UKTV channels other than just Freeview it's being shown again over the
next week or fortnight along with a couple of other series. See my post below (or
above if you have it set up that way :) )

I might try and pop along to their (BFI's) library and see what else I can watch - I spent
Sunday afternoon at their Mediatheque browsing the 600 titles they've already made
available (nothing remotely bushcrafty but I was mostly looking at the kids' tv progs
and feeling nostalgic!) - http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/southbank/mediatheque/

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I'll sign up for that! The only way we can get to watch many of his programmes is by downloading them from torrent sites, which is debateable to its' legality. Therefore, Ray is forcing his fans to fracture the law! What you gonna do about it Ray?!!

Unfortunatly it appears that it's nothing to do with Ray or Woodlore. These earlier programms were made by the BBC and they have the ultimate say on how they are used or realeased. Woodlore do not own the rights to them as they do with the later series.

There have been a few threads on the release of earlier stuff on DVD from the Beeb. They have no immediate plans to release these series but a nice constant stream of letters requesting such may help swing the balance.

I did see the Trips money can't buy episode and it was good, a bit like the lenny henry and lofty wiseman thing that was done a good few years back, i loved lofty's dry sense opf humour:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE