RM Kiln dried oak

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
The choice of the new scale material for the Cox/Woodlore Bushcraft knife MK2 is causing quite a stir on the other channel.
Personally speaking i can't believe that they have gone down this route after the disasterous problems with the original product.
Oak is well known for its adverse reaction to carbon steel (i have one) and they are marketing the knife with no synthetic/fibre liners????
Watch this space.

The choice of the new scale material for the Cox/Woodlore Bushcraft knife MK2 is causing quite a stir on the other channel.
Personally speaking i can't believe that they have gone down this route after the disasterous problems with the original product.
Oak is well known for its adverse reaction to carbon steel (i have one) and they are marketing the knife with no synthetic/fibre liners????
Watch this space.

the epoxy glue will be enough to seperate the steel and the oak

Hi

The new RM knife is using kiln dried Oak, would this be better than seasoned Oak ?
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/743-The-Ray-Mears-Bushcraft-Knife/

Your thoughts gentelmen

Kiln dried is just forced seasoning and how most wood is done in the commercial world it also can get a lower moisture content than natural drying

the wood does look particularly drab tho you can get a nice effect with oak if you try and get it cut right etc

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43701

Nice tho how on the SWC website he does a Woody clone to the Woodlore pattern for £155 the basic no extra Scale choice is oak

Order book is closed for a while tho

ATB

Duncan

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
the epoxy glue will be enough to seperate the steel and the wood

I bow to your vastly superior knowledge in the knife making dept,was only going on my experience with my own oak scaled and 01 tool steel knife compared to a similar one i have with micarta scales and fibre liners, any sweat and or dirt when using the former just seems to react a lot more quicly with the carbon steel blade.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
What it is NOT, is stabilised oak.
( Nor are the handle scales on my fav. knife, but considering the probs Woodlore have been having with the last batch....)
Chris.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have been reading lots of peoples concerns over on our other favourite channel , but if I am honest those concerns are making want to get one just to see for myself , ermm now thats just weird, I think being a Brit abroad makes me long for some English wood in my hand :) ermm this is not sounding quite right

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I would agree with Dunc , the epoxy is between the oak and steel so there should be no probs .

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Kiln dried is just forced seasoning and how most wood is done in the commercial world it also can get a lower moisture content than natural drying

Unless the timber has been acclimatised following kiln drying it will still be prone to movement (expansion) while it comes up to "normal" moisture content following kilning. Even then with any change of climate it will still be prone.
Oak is well known for being a "mobile" wood unless it is utterly ancient and well acclimatised. I would be nervous of using it on any production knife unless it had been stabilised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE