River Wye Canoe Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
mark m8 bring a tent ide like to try to avoid a regular camp site for at least one or two nights if possible im guessing timm wouls also not sure about the others
i aint taking a tent as i dont have one so its easy for me :) cant see anyone objecting to us sleeping on one of the islands we find as the water is so low atm.
glad to here your comming m8

ps, to all who are comming if you want to make use of the official camp sites , i would advise you to inquire yourselves as to the availability and booking of the sites in advance as so many people are going who have never canoed before , and the low water conditions at present im finding very difficult to predict how far we will get in any given day and do not want people exerting themselves to much to get to the next destination sorry for any inconvenience.
i will have a list of destinations and telephone numbers but at the end of the day untill we are on the water on the day , there are to many variations to consider

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
Bit of a bump to keep you all up to date. We’ve had a bit of a change of plan. I found a cracking camp site just down the road from Glasbury called Hollybush inn. They’ve got a wood right next to the Wye were you can camp put up a tarp and have a fire so we decided it come down on the 19th and have three days exploring the surrounding countryside.

Here’s what some one had to say about the site.
If you are looking for a site that is rural and away from the crowds then this is it. We camped right inside the woods with a stream one side and the beautiful river Wye 100 mtrs.away. We were allowed to make a small campfire and enjoy camping as it should be done. With a clean shower and toilet block only minutes away this was our perfect location.
More reviews here
Hollybush camping

Can’t wait to get up there.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
ok peeps didnt get anyone confirming that they are comming apart from m@ark and timm.
just to let everyone know for the last time we will be leaving at 12 on wednesday 23rd from the glasebury bridge. pls be on time as no one confirmed we wont be w8ing after the myself timm and mark have arrived.
ill check this post again at 8 in the morning if anyone is comming that may be late it will be your last chance
cheers lyn

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
Thanks Lyndon

Jason and me had a great time, we both loved every minute of it, can't wait for our next get together.

And thanks to Kathy for her advice on the bow drill, I've tried it about 10 time since I've got back and it's worked every time.

Tim

White Elf

Jun 27, 2006
Surrey
Thanks for organising the trip Lyndon, it was great.
Looking forward to the next installment :D

I'll sort out some photos soon.

Tim, I meant to give you the list of the wood I was told about, to use for bow drilling,
so here goes (starting easy)
Ivy
Red Cedar
Alder
Elder
Horse Chestnut
Willow
Lime
Sycamore
Birch
Hazel
Ash

good luck :)

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
well thanks to cathy m@ark and timm and jason for turning up, to all those that said they would come and never turned up i hope you win the lottery.......then loose the ticket!!! lol
the weather was fine the paddling was hard the pub was a long way (for me lol)
i can now officially tell you what the wye tastes like :eek:
ps. dont ever tie your canoes together going over rapids>>> or this happens :lmao:
can you beleive my phone still works :D
thats me and timm done m@ark the next one is yours or maybe cathy,s
i think ill buy a smaller canoe soon
just to let everyone know timms home made canoe was amazing and did exactly what it said on the tin

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Glad you had a good time, even the getting wet bit! :) I've paddled the Wye a couple of times myself now and enjoyed the river very much. In fact, I've just realised it's been five years since I was last there, so it's time for another trip.

Is there any chance of you putting together a write-up of your trip for us all to enjoy? I always like to hear others experiences messing about in boats.

Toodle pip,

Al

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
I'm off to the Brecon Beacons for a weekend with college, half day caving, half day gorge walking and a full day Kayaking down the River Wye!

just askin if anyone knows of any nice places to go for a pint on the way down the river :lmao: ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE