RIP Admiral Sandy Woodward

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
RIP Admiral. It's always sad to lose any from this generation.

This past week we lost Colonel George "Bud" Day. Colonel Day fought in WWII as an enlisted Marine and later in Korea and Vietnam as an Air Force fighter pilot before he was shot down ad spent almost six years as a POW (and the future Senator, John McCain's cell mate) in Vietnam. When He retired from the Air Force he went on to a career as an attorney and took up many cases involving GI benefits.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Very Sad loss

I read his account of the war years ago, really enjoyed it and a great insight into the man and how he thought. They dont make em like that anymore.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
He seemed a very nice guy, met him once in Gibraltar whilst we were in for repairs in 2000. He was there on holiday with his wife, the first time he'd been there when his visit was cut short in '82. We were in the same restaurant and our CO popped across to say hello and introduce himself, he bought us a round of port and we toasted him. The rest of the people in the restaurant seemed slightly confused. The thing I found interesting was the split on his popularity, unfair criticism on his positioning and use of the carriers and his "there will be deaths and we will lose ships" speech. Let's face it for a scratch team (at least at the start) they didn't do bad. Fair winds and following seas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE