Ring clamp for 'er indoors :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All, after a series of not-so-subtle hints, and having some free man cave time, I made this jeweller's ring clamp for my other half. She has decided that jewellery (sp?) is one of her new hobbies following on from our day course last year when we made rings :)

The clamp is used to be able to work and polish small pieces while handholding them, the piece being held in the leather faced jaws of the clamp. I made this clamp from a straight-ish split piece of a laburnam log kindly donated by Chris (Humdrum_Hostage). The usual clamp configuration is to use a metal band hinge and a wooden wedge, but the bolt/wingnut is easier to use and retains a better grip on the workpiece when moving it around.

I used a piece of thick leather as a hinge piece (holds the two wooden parts together), and an A2 stainless coach bolt with a washer and wingnut as the clamping force. The finish is CCL oiled.

Pics....

25438132052_2c0b894abc_k.jpg

25556686455_627e4ce141_k.jpg

24929967873_04632b6a5d_k.jpg

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
That's really cool. I could do with making one of those for sanding bentwood rings.

Thanks for sharing.

atb
Ste

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
That looks excellent! Many people probably wouldn't bother putting such a good finish on a work holding device, so all credit to you for creating such a lovely object.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
I made one of those a few years ago, when I was making jewellery. Not nearly as refined and finished as yours though. Your one is lovely. Very handy piece of kit.

Alex

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All, thanks for the kind comments. It does not sit well with me to pay for tools that can be made.....and I do enjoy making stuff of course! Wood as a main material makes it a lot easier as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE