Trying out something else - silver ring making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

In our endless quest to try the making of different things, the missus and I tried some silver ring making on Sunday. We did an introductory course at the Surrey Jewellery School in Woking, Surrey. It was good fun, though a little expensive. I found out a couple of things about myself too:

1. I have large/thick fingers. According to the standard ring gauge we had to use, all of my fingers except the little one (pinky for our US readers) were off the scale. My little finger ended up needing a UK size V (US size 11), so that was the ringsize I made. That seems to have led to:
2. My hands are a little clumsy for the small scale of jewellery. Making the ring was OK, but using up the little pieces of leftover silver and then soldering the drop rings was more than a little fiddly for me :)

The course includes making a hammered and finished band ring of sterling silver, teaching marking out, cutting, filing, forming, soldering and finishing (hammering and polishing) skills. As we could also use up the leftover piece of silver from our band/strip, we decided to make little hammered dog-tags with drop rings, and Helene can have those to add to her usual silver chain.

Anyway we ended up making:

23081360751_3895b9d984_k.jpg

For something so simple in appearance, there is a lot of work involved, especially as the instructor was insistent that hand tools were the only way to go. I tend to think along the same lines, and so it was a very enjoyabe experience for me. It has also informed my opinion on the price of good hand made jewellery when I see it for sale. It might seem expensive, but the work that must go into complex pieces will be very great.

We had a great time, but the amount of tools that are required to make stuff like this well will prbably put me off doing it for any kind of hobby. I'm not saying it couldnt be an absorbing hobbby, but it would be very expensive to get started.

Cheers, Bob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 to John's comment :D

I know a few silversmiths, and Son1 does a fair bit too. I really do appreciated their work and skill :)

Isn't it an interesting life when we do get to try making different things ? Good on you and the Missus :D

M

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks John & Mary. The other half is more arty than I, and she is pretty good at stuff like stained, leaded and blown glass. I think I will stick with wood, leather, antler, horn and the like for now, unless another intro course in another material/area catches my eye :). Still gotta finish my bronze sword though.....just the leatherwork to go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE