Right Hand Left Hip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bod,

I think there is mate...I am debating a combined belt / baldric - a bit like a robust "Sam Browne" arrangement

Red

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
BOD said:
Not quite :) I use it sometimes but not if I have to do a lot of crouching and bending as it tends to slip forward as I clamber over obstacles.

Is there a simple way to stop this that you know of?

Bit of cord hanging off the baldric, end wrapped round your belt a couple of times, no need for a knot seems to give enough tension.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm a right handed, right hip man myself. I don't have much experience of being out wearing a fixed blade in a belt sheath but what what little experience I do have has taught me that for jobs where you are knelt down (say battoning wood, firesteel use etc) and you re-sheath the knife whenever not in use for safeties sake then it is a sight easier wearing the sheath on the same side as your working hand.

Same goes for working above head hight.

That's my opinion anyway.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
There is another way of doing it, well, as long as you dont carry a 12" khukuri or a superheavymegacutter.
A clipper or F1 or similar works great with neck sheath.
Either the blade hangs straight down or you make the attachment points on the sheath so it tilts the handle toward the hand you use for holding the knife.

I made a neck sheath from the open leather sheath that came with the F1.
I cut away the leather loop that holds the metal ring that holds the big belt loop.
Then I drilled out the rivet in the corner and made a cut in the leather on the opposite side.
Now I put a piece of paracord through the hole from the rivet twice and then I pulled the cord on both sides of the sheath and into the hole and its done.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
David Morgan said:
Due to a fit of spatial disorientation (ie a cock-up) I made the sheath for my knife to go on my left hip (I'm right handed) with the edge facing back

This is exactly how I wear my knives/ make my sheaths. I much prefer it this way and find it for me to be the safest way to wear it. I think it comes on the whole from practicing Iaido (Japanese art of drawing the sword...in and out of the sheath that is not on paper :rolleyes: )

I seldom need to look as I re-sheath the knife as I know exactly where the blade, edge, tip and sheath are. It does help that I use dangler/scandi type sheaths though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE