Ridges on firesteel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
The other day when i was down the beach with my firesteel sorting out a brew i relised ive got some indented lines down my firesteel were the scarpers been, this a problem? Or just use different sides of it?

Ryan

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Don't worry about it mate! - there will be plenty more of them by the time you have lit a few more fires! :D - in fact if there arn't any i'd be supprised

It's good practice to 'work your way round' the steel to use it fairly evenly though;)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
It is normal to have the indented lines in the firesteel when using a striker like the one you have (which came with the firesteel). If you used the back of a knife or a striker with a flat surface this would not happen, its due to having the sharp points on the edge of the striker that are penetrating deeper into the firesteel that make the indents.

Hope that makes sense :rolleyes: ATB....Stu

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Ignore my last post.....Sorry Ryan I'm getting you mixed up with another member called unused, it's the Birch Bark we talked about earlier, and maybe the beer I've drank tonight, and the late nights catching up with me, and the.....well never mind.

Cheers....Stu

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i started using the striker with my swedsih firesteel when i first got it and it left lots of indents on the firesteel. i decided i didn't like it and used the back of my mora instead and had no problem with that

the knife i got after the mora for bushcraft came with a matching firesteel and i've been using it with the back of the blade since.

no harm at all on the firesteel with whatever pits and marks and dents are in/on it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE