Ridgeline Monsoon Elite II smock or something else?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2018
Thornbury
So I'm looking to buy my first smock this year. For a long time I have used my shooting coat for all activities including bushcraft, canoeing, walking etc. But it's just to cumbersome, weighs a lot and doesn't dry particularly fast once sodden.

I have my eye on the Ridgeline Monsoon Elite II smock from the Bushcraft store at £209. The reviews seem pretty good from what I have read but wondered if anyone here has any first hand experience they would like to share or recommend another smock altogether? I like it for the neoprene cuffs, side zip, fast drying, fairly light weight and length.

I want the smock I buy to be my outer layer, keeping me dry and protected from the wind. I intend to use it for a whole host of outdoor activities such as hiking, bushcraft, shooting, canoeing.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a thread already but can only find the previous model reviews on here.

Reactions: Bazooka Joe

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I had the Elite 2 for a while, it's a very good smock. Bit overkill for my needs so I sold it and bought a Pintail instead.

Breathability is much improved, but I still wouldn't want to do a proper yomp in one. Great clothing for stalking or using a hide though.

Have you looked at their Bushmaster smock? Even better breathability and waterproofing.

BTW, sizes tend to come up a bit small.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
My new one arrived today, twenty quid off in an Easter special from Uttings :)

Prompted to get it after an especially wet weekend in the woods with the older Pintail Smock which just didn't cut it. That has an outer fabric that just soaks up the water and stays wringing wet and heavy and soaks anything you sit on :( I have since treated it with Nikwax in the hope it will make it a bit better but I think it's actually an inherent feature of the type of fabric used on the outside.

First impressions of the new smock are very good :) Very light, looks to be good quality and well made throughout, didn't overheat in it standing around in it at home for five minutes trying it on over a thick fleece ! :)

Zips feel quality, really big decent hood, good pockets, good length, good cuffs, could really have done with it last weekend !

Still to be tried in heavy rain and moving around a lot of course, the outer fabric looks and feels like it will repel the rain well rather than soak it up, so looking good so far :)

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
May not be what you're after but been impressed with my "bars" gorka suit, holds wind and showers quite well, breathes nicely, reinforcements in all of the right areas and simple to maintain, full range of movement, hood very adjustable, 70 quid for trousers, braces, jacket, hat.

I personally hate the hat with a passion but 30 odd quid each, for jacket and trousers might have to touch up some buttons but good, sturdy, rough, tough and russian.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE