Ridding cotton tent cloth musty smell?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I have got hold of a Messager French 70's cotton tent, plan is to use the material which is egyptian cotton, earth brown, and water just runs off, to make a windproof smock(well my mate's girlfriend is). The trouble is as its so old and been in storage for so long, it has managed to take on the smell of old webbing(the smell you got in a army surplus store of the time).Would washing it in say nix wax wash then reproof be ok for tent cloth, or airing it for a fare while outside be a better option?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Air, wash in soap flakes (or nikwash cotton or techwash).

Don't expect it to be as waterproof when used as clothing. Old cotton tents leaked if you touched the wet fabric.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
cheer's, if the weather was decent(although i do live in Scotland so that's rare) i would defo go down the air out option, as there is a lot of material probably cost me a small fortune if i went down the techwash option to do it all, not had much luck with pure soap flakes in the past the washing machine was nearly bubbling over, may use the bath tub. yep i know about touching the cloth, used to use it as a family tent as kids,although that mainly occured once the outside was wetted out, want it mainly as a windproof.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
cheer's, if the weather was decent(although i do live in Scotland so that's rare) i would defo go down the air out option, as there is a lot of material probably cost me a small fortune if i went down the techwash option to do it all, not had much luck with pure soap flakes in the past the washing machine was nearly bubbling over, may use the bath tub. yep i know about touching the cloth, used to use it as a family tent as kids,although that mainly occured once the outside was wetted out, want it mainly as a windproof.

and I though you painted your self Blue with Woad !
getmecoat_zpseg5n6tro.gif~original

I've still an old Vango Force 10 Mk4 (Orange) cotton tent/cotton fly and every few years, on a dry camp,
I'll paint the fly sheet with Thompson's Water Sealant, works fine for me and prefer it to Fabsil
:beerchug: Danny

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

It's more the UV light that'll get it back to fresh - ish, I'd hang it somewhere for a few days. Liquid soap works a lot better than flakes in the washing machine, cheap as chips in the supermarket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE