Rice cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Met some people while I was coppicing the other day and they told me of a way of cooking Rice in a Thermos flask
Put in some rice, put in the usual amount of boiling water that one would use with that quantity and let it stand.
I have been trying it and the rice still comes out uneatable - anyone tried this and made it work?

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I do pretty much the same with a cooking mug wrapped in metallised insulation. Boil some water, add the rice, wrap in the cosy and let it stand, stirring every few minutes. A. saves fuel simmering and B. you don't have to worry about it burning.
What exactly makes it uneatable in your case? If it's all sticking together give the flask a good shake once in a while maybe?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Met some people while I was coppicing the other day and they told me of a way of cooking Rice in a Thermos flask
Put in some rice, put in the usual amount of boiling water that one would use with that quantity and let it stand.
I have been trying it and the rice still comes out uneatable - anyone tried this and made it work?

People like Baden Powell advocated what was then called "Hay box cooking" same as a Thermos flask really. Where you are going wrong is not bringing the rice to a boil and THEN putting it in the flask, takes longer than using a stove but still works, although rice tends to get 'sticky' (Basmati rice works best). Its a great way of cooking soups and stews that have fine chopped ingredients, but remember to boil first for a couple of minutes (very important if using raw meat) before adding to the flask.

http://www.lostvalley.org/haybox1.html

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/camping/recipes/wilderness_recipes/wilderness_11.htm

http://flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6187

http://www.preparedhome.co.uk/articles/haybox.htm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It takes longer.
Normally if you did this at home you would bring the rice to a rolling boil, then put the lid on and turn off the heat and wrap up the pot.
Adding boiling water to dry rice in a flask doesn't mean it's hot enough to boil, so it takes longer to cook through.
Try using the quick cook rice, it's been steamed and then dried, and it is much easier to cook because of this.

cheers,
Toddy

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Toddy's got it right. At home one rinses the rice, adds and equal amount of rice to cold water and then brings it to a boil. Once boiling one turns the heat down to the absolute minimum for a few minutes and when the water has evaporated one turns it off and leave it to sit for about ten to fifteen minutes. This is how most Asian cooks would cook standard white rice.

If they use a recipe that involves using boiling water straight onto the rice then they leave it to stand in cold water for about an hour first. Then they drain it for about twenty minutes. Next they sauté it in ghee, butter or oil, add the boiling water and bring it back to the boil before turning off the heat and leaving it to sit

For your vacuum flask technique I reckon you'd do it like this: First you need to have at least as much water as rice, possibly more. You need to leave it to stand for at least 20 minutes in the flask IMO. Quick cook rice or parboiled rice has the most chance of success because it's been partially cooked already. Wholegrain rice wouldn't work at all.

Might be better to cook the rice at home first. Leave it too cool, wrap it in plastic and take it with you. Then, when you are ready to eat it put it in the flask and the hot water will heat it up for you.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yes, it's got to take at least 20 minutes. At home I do mine in the microwave for 12-15 minutes on defrost with 1 mug of rice (white basmati) and one and a third mugs of boiling water. I never bother rinsing it beforehand and it always comes out fine!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Porrage shouldn't be a problem, as the oats will soak up the milk fairly readily. As with rice, it will take a bit of time for it to be as edible as normal. My sister always soaks her porrage over night, and just reheats it in the mornings to save her time, however I imagine over night soaking is not required here.. :D

Cheers, Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE