Rewetting wood???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I've been carving my first spoon from a piece of elm and as the wood has dried it has become increasingly more dificult to carve. I was wondering if it's OK to soak it in water for a while to make it more 'green'.

Pappa

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I've never tried this so I'm more than ready to be corrected by anyone who knows better, but... I would have thought that if you have managed to get half way without the wood splitting as it dried, you might do well to leave well alone. Re-wetting the wood will never make it "green" again, just wet. The resulting swelling and subsequent shrinkage as it dries (especially as it will then have been carved out relatively thin) might well see your efforts go to waste as the wood splits.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Ogri the trog said:
I take it that you have sharpened your knife ;)

Ogri the trog

Erm..., of course I've sharpened my knife..., what kind of idiot would forget to do that... [shuffles off into a corner and hangs head in shame]

I'll get my coat.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Pappa said:
Erm..., of course I've sharpened my knife..., what kind of idiot would forget to do that... [shuffles off into a corner and hangs head in shame]

I'll get my coat.

Classic... :lmao: :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE