Review of the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 25, 2015
Sverige
Not quite sure if it is kosher to post articles you have published elsewhere, but I do bushcraft and am very interested in hammocks too, so I figure I am not alone.... If it's not OK, then I apologize.

Anyhow, having tried it for a few months I just finished writing a review of the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC Hammock. Great stuff, so have a read, and feel free to share to support their family run small business! They really do good work and deserve success.

http://northernbush.com/review-warbonnet-blackbird-xlc-hammock

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Roger, nice review.

I've let this one stand but in the future could you please post the content here on Bushcraft UK as well, by all means have a link to the original but we'd rather not have you taking people away to read stuff especially if you're not generally posting content on here.

I applaud your wanting to support smaller companies goodjob and I hope that you can find the time to contribute to the site here as you've obviously got a keen interest in the outdoors.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2015
Sverige
Thank you Tony!

Here's my thinking, working as a forum admin/host myself: Posting reviews in forum threads is often a bit problematic since there is so little control over how to display the content, and since you have to repost repeatedly if you want to share it with many. My ambition is not to steal visitors, but to share thoughts and ideas and to learn from others. I really appreciate input and criticism. As long as that is the basic attitude of the visitors on the other non-bushcraft site I run, then I am perfectly fine with people posting external links to material on other sites. I hope it is similar here, but I will of course respect your rules and can certainly post the text here too. And I promise to not just post links to my own site. I am here to learn and chat. :)

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
Am currently looking for a blackbird xlc with the net and top cover, but can't find uk suppliers, I don't want to order from the states because I've read about the extra vat and import taxes I'll have to pay, any help here would be appreciated

Jackdaw

BH - I don't think that there are suppliers for Warbonnet over here. Try dropping them an email direct and see what they say. I've been lucking and managed to buy mine from another forum member.

Failing that try UK Hammocks as I have there Woodsman and it's also good. Not Warbonnet good, but good all the same.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I couldn't find any new ones supplied in the UK so ended up having to order direct from the States, and yes, it is unfortunately pretty expensive with the extra costs added in ! My Blackbird xlc cost about £240 all in, without the optional top cover :(

The actual hammock price isn't extortionate, but delivery, vat, duty and handling fees and rip off exchange rates on credit cards do some real damage.

Having said that though I haven't regretted getting it for a minute :)

A mate of mine managed to get hold of a nearly new one at a ridiculously good price by all accounts, but I think that was extremely lucky and they do seem to be like hens teeth second hand over here.

Cheers, Paul

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
The more I'm thinking about it the more am tempted to just order one, I'm currently using a hammock I made from an old brick net I used for transporting bricks around the country, I just filled it with leaves, ferns and anything else I could find and covered it with a 58 pat poncho before getting in. It is really comfortable and warm, thanks for the help with the advice lads on the warbonnet, I might just get one after Christmas.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
The more I'm thinking about it the more am tempted to just order one, I'm currently using a hammock I made from an old brick net I used for transporting bricks around the country, I just filled it with leaves, ferns and anything else I could find and covered it with a 58 pat poncho before getting in. It is really comfortable and warm, thanks for the help with the advice lads on the warbonnet, I might just get one after Christmas.
What a great idea, I might just try that myself. It looks like it's working for you, so you should keep doing it. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the newest bushcraft products but a lot of the time basic cheap/free alternatives work just as well. (I learned that the hard way)

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
Finally, I've bought a Warbonnet xlc and top cover today, now just waiting to see what damage it gonna do to me wallet, pics will follow and a short vid when it arrives😀

Bushytoo, I've just got to the point where it's nice to chill in something a bit less effortless to set up

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Good review there.

Was wondering of you would do me a favour??

I want the measurements off the Xlc so i can make a hammock myself based off the length.
Especially the footbox triangle .
Thanks

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
URL=http://s44.photobucket.com/user/scottmccrone/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7g8awz33.jpeg.html]
image_zps7g8awz33.jpeg
[/URL]

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
C474AC09-1856-42C0-9A2E-2734266690D4_zpsjwknqc47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]http://www.bushcraftbutikken.dk here's a link to a Danish site who sells them, I bought mine from the USA and the owner when I was emailing him gave me this link in Denmark and one in Sweden, when I contacted them, it was only the Danish supplier who got back to me, I loved the Warbonnet suspension system so much I wanted to fit it to the dd hammock, no need for rain loops with this webbing suspension, it's the mutts nutts or the dogs danglers what ever u wanna call it, remember to click the Union Jack for English in the top left of the Danish web site

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE