Return to Snowdonia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
With a bank holiday and reasonable weather forecast due Teepee and I decided a few days in Snowdonia was in order.

We set off early on the Friday and arrived in Capel Curig at lunch time. The plan was to attack the Glyders which we had seen nice views of on our last trip up Tryfan.

We had originally planed to walk the ridge from Joe Browns all the way up but parking was bad in Capel so we went a little further down the valley. This left us with a long traverse up to our intended first night camp at Lyn Caseg Fraith.

Anyhow we got loaded up and set off up the flank of the valley. We came across this poor chap not far in

The gradient was ok but it was solidly uphill all the way. We stopped by a stream to refill water bottles

View back down to the road

We climbed steadily and skirted the summit of Y Foel Goch before we got our first view of Glyder Fach and bristly ridge

The rocky terrain soon gave way to open spaces on the approach to Lyn Caseg Fraith

There were some Norwegian chaps camped on the lake so we decided to head over to the crag overlooking Tryfan to get some shelter and a good view. Mission accomplished

We set about getting the shelters up. Me in the Trailstar and Pete under his MYOG micro tarp

Day 1 Route

We got some chow on and drank plenty of coffee before turning in with the sun. I awoke early next morning and was able to see the sun come up

We had breakfast and a brew and then packed the gear ready for the walk up to Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr. View back down to camp

We mooched up the side of Glyder Fach taking in the views of Tryfan. A sight I’ll never tire of

We soon got up on the top and located the cantilever stone

Then it was on to the summit which took a bit of scrambling to get to

We took our time and had a brew or two. Im really loving my caldera Fkeg system. Great lightweight water boiler and bomber wind proof

We carried on over Glyder Fach and came to Castell Y Gwynt which is a stunning rock formation

Soon after this we were down, up and on the approach to Glyder Fawr. It’s a stunning approach

We did the summit thing, had another brew and discussed camp sites for that evening.

Looking over to Y Garn

We went down the very steep bak of Glyder Fawr to get to Lyn y Cwn which was pencilled in as a possible camp spot. It didn’t float our boat so we decided to head down the Deils Kitchen to Lyn Idwal. It was a very steep descent and I was glad I wasn’t going up it.

Looking back up

We found a nice sheltered spot and soon got camp set up. Not a bad view over to Pen Yr Ole Wen

Day 2 Route

We sat and ate and chatted and watch some mentalists swinging from ropes on a vertical rock wall 

I settled into the TS

We turned in fairly early. Next day we did the short walk to Idwal Cottages, had a brew then got the bus back to Capel for a good fry. We collected the van and relocated to the shadow of Moell Shabod for some hammock action. The walk in was again uphill (well it is Wales) and I was tired. It really reminded me of the Nordmarka in Norway

We soon arrived at camp and got the hammocks set up. It was a proper chill out and I really enjoyed the place. A few pics

We had a constant companion with our little Chaffinch. We called him Steve

Pete has some better pics

After two days of lazing around eating and brewing we walked back out to the Van and headed home. Not before one last stop off though

Thanks to Pete for his excellent company and for driving. A stunning trip with another 2 Welsh 3000s ticked off.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Excellent report and photo's, Was the area around Llyn Caseg Fraith boggy? When I was there last year the ground was sopping wet with virtually no purchase for the pegs. I'm liking that caldera / fosters stove setup. It's certainly an impressive area of rugged terrain, thanks for sharing.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Excellent report and photo's, Was the area around Llyn Caseg Fraith boggy? When I was there last year the ground was sopping wet with virtually no purchase for the pegs. I'm liking that caldera / fosters stove setup. It's certainly an impressive area of rugged terrain, thanks for sharing.

Yes mate, fairly boggy all round there but it was fine over on the crag. Pegs went in great once you found the gaps in the rocky floor lol

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks great guys :). Not been to Wales since I was a boy. I'm missing out!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one lads, gutted I missed it

I did a bit of bog jumping myself on Sunday, went knee deep at one point and nearly lost a pole, Great Whernside is a hell hole when it's wet and cloudy on the tops.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Excellent report! I feel properly lazy for not being out there myself! I'm only a half hour drive from Capel Curing..... I'm glad you liked our hills.....😀

Do Not Demand What You Cannot Take By Force

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Too many folk are posting reports on trips that bring back memories of trips I did when I was young and fit.
This is one such report....
It looks like you had a great time :)
As did I when I lived in the area for a year and got onto the hills at every opportunity.
Your route is almost exactly - but in reverse - the trip I did solo just after my mother died. Although I went up in a bit of a mess and had totally inadequate gear (packed in a weird mind space), that trip got my head sorted out.
Thanks for the memories guys :)
I will say that erosion has scarred up the hill since I was there, there was not much more than a sheep trod across the summit ridge!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Another glorious Gyderau trip, Thanks for your most excellent company again Paul.

A few more pics....

Bivy perfect terraces.

Another erosion pic for you John.

Tryfan. 'Nuff said.

Steve the Chaffinch eating flapjack.

Lightweight camp water storage-pour and store bags.

Happy days.

Plenty more pics but they are mostly duplicates.

Roll on the next one. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - that is erosion!
Great looking trip!
The Glyderau were my favourite part of Snowdonia and I have been over them in everything from deep snow to drought ... but the way my legs are now I know I will never get up there again:(
So keep posting the reports please:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE