Restoring a Gillwell hand axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 2, 2014
Coventry
Hi all,

I have inherited a Gillwell hand axe from my wife's grandfather, which I'd love to restore to its former glory. I know that the current handle isn't the original, but I haven't been able to find any images or information as to what the original looked like. I'm told that the original would also have had a leather cover for the head, with some kind of belt loops, but this has long-since gone.

Any information would help me at the moment, such as images, details of the manufacturer etc. I've never done anything like this before and I'd like to get it looking as close to the original as possible.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,

Andy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never heard of a Gilwell axe; post a piccy or four and I'm sure somebody here will know something about it.............Some very knowledgable people here!

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I know Gilwell has the logo of an axe* in a log but I've not come across a Gilwell / Gillwell axe. Gilpin I've heard of. Pics of how it is now would help ;) .

* But I've always considered it to be either a felling or a 3/4 felling axe :confused:

Wood mouse

Mar 24, 2015
leeds
Hi all,

I have inherited a Gillwell hand axe from my wife's grandfather, which I'd love to restore to its former glory. I know that the current handle isn't the original, but I haven't been able to find any images or information as to what the original looked like. I'm told that the original would also have had a leather cover for the head, with some kind of belt loops, but this has long-since gone.

Any information would help me at the moment, such as images, details of the manufacturer etc. I've never done anything like this before and I'd like to get it looking as close to the original as possible.

Can anyone help please?
Many thanks,

Andy

I Have a GILLWELL AXE HEAD but no one can tell me about it.

I have found some photos on Ebay but cant put them on this site so you could look on Ebay and try to see if you can get the photos Hope this helps

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I found a Gillwell hand ax at a carboot sale. I cleaned it up and gave it to my nephew. I had assumed it was a Scout brand ax from the association of the name with the Scout activity centre at Gilwell, but later realised that the spelling is different. So now I don't know whether there is any connection.

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
Check out this thread for a good picture of the gilwell axe logo

---> http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123827

The bottom axe in this pic is a Gilwell, I think it has it's original handle as it is beautifully made. I couldn't find any info on the maker.
IMAG05431280x766_zpse679fb04.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE