Restoration & Re-wiring Of A 'Potted Motor' Knee Lever Singer 201-2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....finished this off a week or so ago but what with the arrival of my second son and constant rain its the first chance i've had to get some pics...

this was done following the amazing blog that twodogs posted up and with a fair bit of advice from mac....heres link:

http://vssmb.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-re-wire-potted-motor-part-1-wire.html

i'm really chuffed with myself because i've spent my entire life having never even used a soldering iron, i've ZERO knowlege when it comes to electrical stuff and the end result works perfectly and looks great so if anyone is thinking of having a go or finds themselves in a similar position, dont be scared and feel free to hassle sir mac and twodogs whenever you want to get help:p.....i also want to thank a guy i've got to know a little bit from ebay called chris who's been a great help in my singer 201 journey!

just one thing, if you do try to do this then follow the instructions to the letter and make sure you have everything needed....i very nearly came unstuck at one point right at the end because i couldnt get the 'worm' back in because my pliers were not long enough....i was furious with myself....luckily i remembered i had a longer pair buried in the shed somewhere and dug them out and they afforded me the length and angle required....its things like this that can throw your whole project out of the window. if the man says he uses long-nose pliers then trust me he uses them for a reason!

i bought this machine on ebay for ten quid....i've since spent quite a bit getting all the stuff mentioned in the blog which of course will last me many many years and serve on other projects....most guys seem to own most of this stuff so wouldnt need to shell out like i did...heres the first pictures....it was a total mess:

here you can see the totally rusted knee lever bar, dull lock plates and scratched needle throat plates:

here you can see the state of the wiring and rusty, chipped compartment lid....the base is damaged too and i replaced it with a spare:

and heres the worst bit...perished grommet and severe oil/grease damage and rotted cables coming from the motor:

first of all i restored the lid and lever:

sanded:

resulting thumb lol:

primed:

resprayed with black enamel and lacquer...the lid also has a new rubber grommet:

then i rewired the female socket and fitted new plug:

then it was jump in the deep end...motor taken apart and cables exposed:

cables stripped back ready for the soldering and shrinktubing of new wires:

i didnt bother taking hundreds of pics as this is all documented in the blog....motor and knee lever pedal rewired and everything now connected up into the male socket:

and here she is....:

last thing to do is carefully use some Maas metal polish to get a bit of rust off the serial number plate...i also decided to use an original lid that i picked up rather than the one i restored so that it matches more 'naturally'....i'll use the restored one on another project:

and the best and most satisfying view....ta-da!....no grease, no damage and invisible cabling!...she has had all her shiney bits re-polished and also has better needle plates and so on....and new red felts which i forgot to put on!:

she goes like a dream and thanks to everyone who helped me and to Nicholas Rain Noe for an absolutely outstanding blog!

regards,

sonni

ps.....now to finish off my re-spray/re-decal/re-lacquer project.....dreading it lol

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Brilliant, Sonni! See now, no big mystery to the sparky bits, eh?. That machine really looks a treat now and I bet she purrs like a kitten :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE