restless leg syndrome

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Does anybody else have this? Its a rather common condition where a person feels odd sensations in their legs when trying to get to sleep. it can cause the legs to twitch and the sensation can spread. Ive recently been getting severe attacks of it that last for about a week at a time, and I cannot get any sleep with my leg twitching. Its caused by high dopamine in the brain so its not actually a physical problem.

Does anybody have any home remedies ? there is medication available but, and I kid you not, it lists side effects that include ...

UNUSUAL SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR
and
EXCESSIVE GAMBLING!!!

Im not that desperate!(though admittedly the pills do sound like a laugh don't they!) Ive found olbas oil poured onto the affected areas helps but thats pretty much all I can think of doing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to get a sensation where it felt like my legs needed stretching or pulling before I could get off to sleep, it kind of went away after a few months. That sounds a bit different to what you`re getting though Lindz.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Er,how to put it...

Basically a good 'love in' rids the tensions aiding a restful sleep.

Mind you so does a run up and down the stairs a few times...:eek:

But then i've seen both of us having this after a day of walking or just being on the feet all day.
I've also often had that feeling that the muscles need a BIG stretch.

I even have dreams about being unable to walk up a wee step or the like 'cos my legs feel so 'cramped'..must be an age thing....

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Er,how to put it...

Basically a good 'love in' rids the tensions aiding a restful sleep.

Mind you so does a run up and down the stairs a few times...:eek:

But then i've seen both of us having this after a day of walking or just being on the feet all day.
I've also often had that feeling that the muscles need a BIG stretch.

I even have dreams about being unable to walk up a wee step or the like 'cos my legs feel so 'cramped'..must be an age thing....

I dont think its the same as this. its an odd sensation, like the skin is crawling. If I move it goes away but comes back after a minute or so. it ends up a cycle of moving the legs every few minutes to relieve the sensation hence the name. I might try running up and down stairs though it sounds like a plan.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve been getting pins and needles in one leg when I get up in the morning, it goes after a couple of minutes but it very weird.

I did a bit of googling once and that didn`t help, I think by the end of my research I was pregnant, suffering a bowel disfunction, retaining water, had gout, sciatica and grossly overweight.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I occasionally get this in the morning not much to do about it had it for years and doesn't seem to get any worse, main problem is how much it alarms my companions, also suffer from some really severe cramps calf and thigh do'nt appear to be related.

Cheers

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I had something like this a few years ago. Doc said it was something to do with fast twitch muscles!!! anyway about 30 mins before going to bed I did a series of deep leg stretches. Hamstring , quads , calf and shins. it was actually quite good to be honest as I had a lot less aches and much more flexibility. must start doing it again!!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Restless Leg Syndrome is surprisingly common. We used to use a drug called pergolide which was extremely effective (70-90% of patients improved on it) but unfortunately it later became known to cause heart valve damage. Now we use alternatives like gabapentin which are not nearly so effective.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Does anybody else have this? Its a rather common condition where a person feels odd sensations in their legs when trying to get to sleep. it can cause the legs to twitch and the sensation can spread. Ive recently been getting severe attacks of it that last for about a week at a time, and I cannot get any sleep with my leg twitching. Its caused by high dopamine in the brain so its not actually a physical problem.

Does anybody have any home remedies ? there is medication available but, and I kid you not, it lists side effects that include ...

UNUSUAL SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR
and
EXCESSIVE GAMBLING!!!

Im not that desperate!(though admittedly the pills do sound like a laugh don't they!) Ive found olbas oil poured onto the affected areas helps but thats pretty much all I can think of doing.

Those sound like acceptable side effects to me :D

seriously, though, does the medication contain or stimulate Cortisol?

Are you stressed by anything at the moment? anything calming should help, meditations, rescue remedies, etc.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I get it but only sometimes, i get it sat on our couch too. I have to fully stretch my legs every 30 seconds or so, it drives me up the bloody wall.

There is something that stops it, but i wont say on here ;) It would come under herbal/natural remedies though. Works 100%,

webmuppet

Tenderfoot
I get it but only sometimes, i get it sat on our couch too. I have to fully stretch my legs every 30 seconds or so, it drives me up the bloody wall.

There is something that stops it, but i wont say on here ;) It would come under herbal/natural remedies though. Works 100%,

I get the same, especially when I'm tired. I get the impulse to move my legs every 30 seconds or so. Oddly I don't get it much in bed but it drives the wife mad when I do it in fron t of the TV :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I get restless legs. Hops works brillantly for me, it has compound that works on electric pulses through the mylin sheath, it proberly inhibits dopamine in some way as well. Put three to five heads in a glass of wine/cider with a tablespoon of honey, heat up till simmering. Allow to cool, then strain. Drink an hour before bed time. side effects; overdose causes numbness of finger tips and lips, tastes really bitter. I am not a herbalist, this a recipe for a herbal tonic.

you could try propping your legs up a wall, it worked when I was pregnant when the symptoms were worst, and I didn't wish to take hops. i learnt to sleep in an "L" shape. Doing yoga esspecially movements that work the lower back. Try sleeping with a thin pillow under the small of the back.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I get the same, especially when I'm tired. I get the impulse to move my legs every 30 seconds or so. Oddly I don't get it much in bed but it drives the wife mad when I do it in fron t of the TV :)

I find its the pressure on the back of my legs just above the knee that causes it, when im on the couch. The couch is a leather Argos jobbie that has a wooden support accross the front of the cusions under the padding. I no longer sit on the couches

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
have you heard of half man half biscuit? try listening to this beauty!

Here she lies in a fleecy gown
By my side in the eiderdown
But she can't get a ticket to Morning Town
Cause I've got restless legs

Boring though this film may be
Slumber still won't visit me
So long as you stay next to me
For I have restless legs

Milky drink and Sudafed
"That should sort you out" she said
As I kicked myself clean out of the bed
And raised my restless legs

Call me a puppet. Cures I've sought
All in all they've come to naught
I wish it was some astronaut
Who had these restless legs

4:06 and I'm wide awake
Got an uncontrollable urge to take
A 5-mile hike around the Ogwen lake
And stretch these restless legs

No sympathy from Uncle Greg
Nor indeed from Auntie Meg
Well Thank God I'm not Jake the Peg
With an extra restless leg

So come the day when I don't exist
And worms are flying through the graveyard mist
Don't go calling the excorcist
It's just my restless legs

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Unusual sexual behaviour...gambling??

Easy, get the medication down your neck Firecrest then you can play strip poker all night.

No? ok I was just trying to help...:D :D :D

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Hi, sorry to hear that you're having trouble.
As an acupuncturist i see all sorts of weird and wonderful symptoms - restless legs being one of them. I have found that most people get some releif after a course of treatment.
If you are interested i would suggest going on www.acupuncture.org (British Acupuncture Council) and clicking on "find a practitioner" - there you can put in your postcode and get a lsit of your nearest practitioners. If you find them from that web-site you can be assured that the practitioners are well trained and follow a strict code of professional conduct and ethics.
If not, please keep us up to date in your antics from the side effects ; )
Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE