restless leg syndrome

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
what you describe sounds like what i know as ekbloms syndrome.(also has other names)
dopamine is one potential culprit but low ferritin levels are possibly implicated also.
ferritin levels can be boosted by iron suppliments but iron can be bad for you if you take too muchi you can get a blood test to test your ferritin levels. if this seems a step too far ask yourself if your dietary pattern puts you at risk (insufficient iron in your diet) as this may be easily corrected.
You dont say if you have seen your family doctor about this but as you are exploring alternative approaches you may have gone down this route and been offered the drugs with the potentially interesting side effects as it is easy for the doc just to write a prescription without seeking reversible cause first.
If you havent seen a doctor i would advise that you do so for a few reasons
1 its not too trivial for them
2blood test,ferrittin as prev.
3symptoms can get worse with age
4you are female and pregnancy can make symptoms worse
5And i dont want to alarm ...but there are other conditions which may present with the symptoms you describe which would require addressing
that said restless legs is quite common!

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
The one and only time I had this was the night immediately after Wireless ridge in the Falklands. Didn't sleep much that night, regardless of the fact I'd not slept for nearly 48 hours. Mind you, I slept like a baby the night after. :)

I used to get this and found that caffiene was the cause. Drinking tea too late made me restless and have electric legs, took me ages to work it out. I now don't drink caffiene at all, if I do it's before lunchtime... after that no sleep for me!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
There is something that stops it, but i wont say on here ;) It would come under herbal/natural remedies though. Works 100%,

I get this occasionally, and my ineffective remedy to date has been cursing and thumping the side of the leg.
It appears that I may have to speak to Mrs Chance about 'alternative' therapies and/or medicine.

Or maybe it's safer sticking with the thumping.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
i have this! constantly in my calves! very annoying but i am used to it now, very weird sensation and you can actually see the muscles twitching and spasming. feels like bugs under the skin!

My doc didnt have a clue and didnt seem too bothered by it so i just ignore it now!

Gailainne

Life Member
I had it all through my 20's, used to drive me mad, its quite common in my family.

The only thing I found that worked was regular exercise, but if it happened (btw it only happened to me in bed normally a couple of hours after I lay down) a couple of minutes stretching my calf muscles usually cured it.

:sigh: sympathys, rotten thing to go thru.

Stephen

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After reading up on Ekboms syndrome(never heard of it until tenderfoots post), maybe nettle soup might work. It is rich in minerals and neurochemical precursors. Nettles are just popping their little heads up about now are taste the best at this stage. I find it gives me a really fantastic lift and I find really lifts lousy moods. I don't drink anything with caffeine in past midday. Even if it does nothing for the legs it will help to awful mood you probably have now you haven't slept for week.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
i have this! constantly in my calves! very annoying but i am used to it now, very weird sensation and you can actually see the muscles twitching and spasming. feels like bugs under the skin!

My doc didnt have a clue and didnt seem too bothered by it so i just ignore it now!

Is that what is called restless leg syndrome? as I'm thinking of involuntary leg kicking.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes its the `bugs under the skin` sensation, but it causes the legs to start spasming as well.
Ive not had it for a night now. looks like its on the wane. Itll probably be back in a few weeks or months.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yes its the `bugs under the skin` sensation, but it causes the legs to start spasming as well.
Ive not had it for a night now. looks like its on the wane. Itll probably be back in a few weeks or months.

I've had that 'bugs under the skin' in my arms but never looked for it prior to kicking the legs.

Probably 'cos they've been undercover,I suppose.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Firecrest: why don't you try Homeopathic medicine remedies. I don't have restless leg, but have had good results with homeopathic remedies for allergies. There are vitamins such as folic acid and E that are supposed to be helpful for your problem. Indian Ayurvedic medicine has treatments for restless leg syndrome that are alleged to work. I would start with the cheapest, simplest, and easiest to obtain, and work my way through the list. There are many good sites for these treatments. Good luck and good hunting!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Firecrest: why don't you try Homeopathic medicine remedies. I don't have restless leg, but have had good results with homeopathic remedies for allergies. There are vitamins such as folic acid and E that are supposed to be helpful for your problem. Indian Ayurvedic medicine has treatments for restless leg syndrome that are alleged to work. I would start with the cheapest, simplest, and easiest to obtain, and work my way through the list. There are many good sites for these treatments. Good luck and good hunting!

I was just going to say that my dad had Restless Leg Syndrome some time ago, it was completely cured by a homeopath. I would definitely give it a try.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
After reading up on Ekboms syndrome(never heard of it until tenderfoots post), maybe nettle soup might work. It is rich in minerals and neurochemical precursors. Nettles are just popping their little heads up about now are taste the best at this stage. I find it gives me a really fantastic lift and I find really lifts lousy moods. I don't drink anything with caffeine in past midday. Even if it does nothing for the legs it will help to awful mood you probably have now you haven't slept for week.

sounds good ,i was thinking along the lines of something like spinach in the diet (well it worked for popeye!) but nettles sound better and more bushcrafty You gonna post a recipe for us xylaria?

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
About my previous post.

I've just had a chat with my Dad about the Restless Leg Syndrome. He said that he didn't think the homeopathy had helped. He said that it stopped when he stopped eating carbohydrates in the evening.

After cutting things like chips, pasta, rice or potatos out of the evening meal and not having any kind of sweet desert the restless leg thing just stopped. He had had it for around 20 years. He also stopped suffering from heartburn in the night as well.

It mite be worth a try to see if it works for you as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE