Rescued Squirrel

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh all,
thought you might appreciate a few pic's of this little squirrel we found in our garden. We figure its mother was chased off by a cat or something. Poor little thing didnt even have his eyes open when we found him, been hand feeding him with pipettes full of puppy milk. He is now on solids, going to release him soon, any advice (and no I wont knock him on the head and make a bespoke tinder pouch :p),

backsquirrelll1.jpg

Cute huh? :D

EdS

cute - Not sure, more evil little little sod with a red glow in his eye that appears to be going for your juggular.

They are smart critters - but they are flamming menace around here, damn things finished off my greengages. At least you gave him a fighting chance.

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Sorry to put a dampener on things guys but it might actually be illegal to release the little guy back into the wild with him not being a native species and all that, just something to consider:( If it is you may end up keeping him longer than you thought:dunno:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
hmmm, now theres something I hadnt thought of. I heard somewhere your not allowed to release rodents. Anyone know for sure the legality of this or do I have a bandit squirell on my hands? :D

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
sOrry mate but I'm pretty sure its right, from memory I think it states in the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 that its considered to be an "alien pest species":eek: And thats why releasing him is a bit of a no no:( Not had time to check it out but Defra's site may be worth looking at incase theres a way round it. sOrry once again

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know why it's such a pleaseure to many of us to rear birds and beasts to healthy adulthood; no idea why humans make pets of animals that are of no obvious value to use either; but we do :D

Yes, your pet is cute, yes it's potentially a menace and it's illegal to release it into the wild, but it is obviously thriving......could it be spayed by the vet and kept as a house and garden pet? failing that, I'm sure there are sancturies for hand reared ones like this; you are surely not the only folks who have rescued one. And, menace/ alien species or not, their antics bring a great deal of pleasure to many......and not just in the pot :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Have you named him yet?. You could call him Dave, seems to be the In name at the moment.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
hmmm, now theres something I hadnt thought of. I heard somewhere your not allowed to release rodents. Anyone know for sure the legality of this or do I have a bandit squirell on my hands? :D
Definitely illegal to release him. Always makes me laugh when pest controllers use "live" traps on squirrels and take them away. Guess what they do when they get 'em round the corner?

Red

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Grey Squirrels are a pain in the a***. Do the native flora and fauna of this country a favour - smack it cleanly over the head with one of those pans behind you, cook it up and eat it.:(

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Copper

Minefield time!

Despite taking life - stalking etc - for me all life is something to be respected; regardless of astetics ( largely cos I'm real ugly! ).

Mix in legalities, personal emotion, questions over whether a pest, alien species, threat to Red Sqizz, humanising animals etc etc. And all you can be certain of is the potential to create a real headache trying to do the right thing.

With regard to issues surrounding first item on that list, you may need to decide 'quietly'.

In all such quandries, your best guide is the guy that stares back at you when you look in the mirror. Stay true to him.

You undoubtedly saved a creatures life. Regardless of logic, problems arising etc nothing detracts from that. I come across 'killers' with sad frequency, we all become a little less because of them.

Very tired and trying to type a posting with lots to read between the lines - hence making such a hash of it. Hope gist comes across still.

Hope things work out.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've just been told a story (and as far as I know it's a true story) and although a bit off topic it does involve animals and their 'natural' habitat.

A family took a trip to a zoo and in this zoo is a petting area; so that people can get a little bit closer to the animals.
All is fun and the family thoroughly enjoyed their day out. On the way home the father starts to become more and more confused as to why, after such a long day, his children are constantly giggling in the back of the car and won't settle down.
This lasted all the way home and because the parents were 'a bit miffed' the children were sent up to bed. When the giggling continued the parents decided that they'd better get to the bottom of just what was causing such mirth. After a bit of persuasion the children said they'd 'kidnapped' a penguin from the zoo.
At first the parents didn't believe - until exhibit 'P' was presented to them. At this point the parents started to panic. Not only had they been unwitting get-away drivers, now the penguin was doing a very good impersonation of a certain Mr. M. Pythons' Norwegian Blue Parrot! After a few moments the parents realised that it had managed to do what the kids hadn't; chill out and nod off. With that panic over it was time to deal with the issue of the kidnapping. Knowing that they couldn't keep quiet and keep the penguin the zoo was phoned - deep doo-doo was expected. What was the zoos' response to 'One of your penguins is missing'?

'Oh, don't worry, just bring it back. This happens most days!'

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Just get it neutered when possible and keep feeding it. In that way you can never really get wrong. Chances are that it will be staying around in the garden if it has bonded well, getting less tame over time.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Just keep it and train it to attack any unwanted guests. or you could just dye it red and then release it and nobody coud say it was alien species.
failing that then just stuff it.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
i was once told by a volunteer at a wildlife rescue centre that once the squirrels that they had in the centre were old enough to be released into the wild they weren't allowed to do so because they are not a native species and were also classed as vermin, but because they are a wild creature they cannot be kept in captivity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE