Replace my bike helmet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Well, I didn't mean to trivialise your accident, I'm sorry you were hurt and glad it wasn't worse.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Dunno about cycle helmets, but for motorcycle helmets its better to replace after any accident involving it hitting the ground solidly. And I agree with the philosophy of getting a good one - after all, what's your brain worth to you (and your loved ones)?

Personally, I think the best safety advice cyclists should get is learning that red traffic lights mean "Stop" :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Personally, I think the best safety advice cyclists should get is learning that red traffic lights mean "Stop" :)

If only motorists would realise that cyclists have an equal right to the road as any motor vehicle...

The amount of abuse I get shouted at me when cycling. And I obey traffic lights.

J

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
If only motorists would realise that cyclists have an equal right to the road as any motor vehicle...

The amount of abuse I get shouted at me when cycling. And I obey traffic lights.

J

That's why I bought a head camera! Amazing the difference it makes.
My favourite attitude of drivers is the "you don't pay road tax"- road tax doesn't exist anymore and the tax they do pay is for emissions. Roads are paid for out of council tax!

Posted by carrier pigeon

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

J

Sorry - no offense intended (even if you don't pay any road tax, thereby scrounging off the back of us proper paying road users (chill - only joking))!

And glad that at least one cyclist knows to stop at red lights:)

Seriously, Germany have got it right - lots of bike lanes properly segregated from motorised traffic - safer for all.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sorry - no offense intended (even if you don't pay any road tax, thereby scrounging off the back of us proper paying road users (chill - only joking))!

And glad that at least one cyclist knows to stop at red lights:)

Seriously, Germany have got it right - lots of bike lanes properly segregated from motorised traffic - safer for all.

The road tax thing makes me so angry, it's blatant ignorance and selfishness. Even in jest it just perpetuates ignorance.

Personally I dislike the idea of segregated cycle lanes, mainly as once you build one, certain class of drivers will take the view that the only place for a cyclist is on that one path and take it out on cyclists they find elsewhere. No, the only viable way forward is to improve driver understanding of cyclists. There is no reason that sharing a road with cars needs to be any more dangerous than a segregated cycle path.

Julia

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I direct you to my post below...

Oh and count me as person number 2 that stops at red lights :p

Great - the message is finally getting through - two down, several million to go:)

And true, the road fund licence was no longer hypothecated in 1955, becoming a general contribution to the Exchequer. However, I am not aware of any legislation saying it had become a contribution to offset emissions instead! Nice try though:)

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I've always liked the idea of see cyclist think horse. If that message was taught to learners then they would respect cyclists a bit more on the road. I have a friend who is just about to take her driving test and didn't believe me when I said the highway code advises that a car gives a whole lane width when overtaking a bike (just like a car or a horse), and that a cyclist can use as much of the lane as they see fit.
You just have to appreciate that a cyclist is going to want to stay out of the door zone, out of potholes, and is more likely to be affected by factors like the wind changing their course. You can't necessarily predict a cyclist's movements, so account for all possibilities.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I am not aware of any legislation saying it had become a contribution to offset emissions instead! Nice try though:)

I'm not sure as to exactly how the funds are spent, but consider you pay more tax if you have a higher emission vehicle. Electric cars for example don't pay as they don't emit (though if you consider the electricity powering them its a total farce), and similarly neither do cyclists.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Great - the message is finally getting through - two down, several million to go:)

And true, the road fund licence was no longer hypothecated in 1955, becoming a general contribution to the Exchequer. However, I am not aware of any legislation saying it had become a contribution to offset emissions instead! Nice try though:)

Your vehicle excise duty is based upon the CO2 emissions of the vehicle, While no declaration may have been made that it is an emissions tax, it quite clearly is these days.

I've always liked the idea of see cyclist think horse. If that message was taught to learners then they would respect cyclists a bit more on the road. I have a friend who is just about to take her driving test and didn't believe me when I said the highway code advises that a car gives a whole lane width when overtaking a bike (just like a car or a horse), and that a cyclist can use as much of the lane as they see fit.
You just have to appreciate that a cyclist is going to want to stay out of the door zone, out of potholes, and is more likely to be affected by factors like the wind changing their course. You can't necessarily predict a cyclist's movements, so account for all possibilities.

Exactly. A cyclist has as much right to be there as everybody else. There needs to be a lot more respect upon the roads. I might stop for red lights, but I also cycle in the middle of the lane, where it is safest. I expect drivers when over taking to give me at least 6ft of clearance.

I'm not sure as to exactly how the funds are spent, but consider you pay more tax if you have a higher emission vehicle. Electric cars for example don't pay as they don't emit (though if you consider the electricity powering them its a total farce), and similarly neither do cyclists.

Exactly. Tho personally, I would abolish vehicle excise duty and have it all collected via duty on fuel. Thus giving a direct link between fuel efficiency and taxation. It also removes any "you don't pay road tax" claim.

J

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

As vehicle exise is no longer hypothecated, there is no linkage. There is a penalty for higher emission cars and 4x4s, but that is political not economic or environmental - pure lip service to get the green/envy vote.

You're right about the linkage between emissions and vehicle exise being a farce, particularly when you take into account the whole life emission costs of a vehicle - particularly electrical/hybrids which a) use electricity generated predominantly by burning hydrocarbons - coal/gas, b) the fact that rare earth minerals used in battery construction are hugely toxic and the batteries travel several laps of thee earth before being installed in the vehicle, and c) batteries need replacing after 100,000 miles! I remember reading somewhere that half of the whole-life cost of a vehicle was in the initial build, and fancy light bodywork like aluminium and carbon fibre use immensely more electricity than old-fashioned steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE