Repair zip on Swanndri Rover Jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
My much loved Swanni jacket (2XL, Red Black Check, bought in Kaikoura, NZ in 1999) has gone the way of all flesh...

Well, the zip keeps popping open at the bottom and undoing all the way up to the zip toggle... While it's not often used as an extreme condition, last resort coat - it hangs by the back door, and is used when I fetch the dogs, fill coal buckets, chainsaw timber for the stove, work in the garden nip to the shops...

I guess it needs a zip replacement; anyone got any recommendations - is it find a dressmaker who can purchase a huge YKK zip and ask sweetly, or does anyone know of a recommended repair by post place?

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
The zip's about 27.5" or 70 cm. It looks like it's just faulty at the bottom - it won't mesh for the first 10mm or so...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can have a look through my stash of zips and see what's there that will suit. Might not be YKK but it'll be a good one anyway.
Black, I presume ?

cheers,
M

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Wow. Thanks, Toddy. Black would be great... if you've got one, I'd welcome recommendations as to how I get someone to attach it - is it more complicated for a seamstress/tailor as it's a girt heavy woolen jacket?

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
These men(and ladies) provide an excellent service and can fix anything outdoorsey.
http://www.lsr.gb.com/

I paid £14 once for a zip repair The enclosed waterproof type of zip. It seemed expensive at the time but it saved a £200 quid jacket from not being used.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
you are welcome.

No connection etc.............

Just a very satisfied customer, I am considering sending Some asolo insulated gortex walking boots where the stitching has started to come undone, which apparently can be repaired without any damage to the linings in either waterproofnes(is that a word?) or breathability.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Just a follow up; said nice people have fixed my zip for me; better than new. They thought they'd manage with a slider replacement, and rang to tell me; they later rang to say they had to replace the whole zip. £35 very well spent. I recommend them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE