Removing Pine Resin from clothes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi all

have been playing with Spruce boughs last night and discovered large amounts of sticky resin on my combats and norgee shirt.

Any useful tips for removing the resin? Please don't bother with"why not cut them up into 6" strips and use them as tinder, as they're so flammable" - already thought of that one :)

Any help appreciated

Chris

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I had a problem getting rid of mildewy smell and used a white vinegar (2 cups) wash and then rewashed with Vanish Oxy stain remover. Worked a treat. The Oxy Max is great for getting rid of stains, especially dried blood. Might do the trick, just don't wash over 50 degrees.

Alternatively follow the advice here : http://www.pierce.wsu.edu/Life_Skills/CTA/Stain.htm and use dry cleaning solvent such as tricholorethane (tippex thinners, but wear gloves as this is a nasty) or it's replacement Bromopropane (not quite as nasty). Maybe isopropyl alcohol (tape head cleaner/gum remover) might do the trick.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I spent months takng down some of the biggest spruce trees that I have ever seen, I was cutting some 50 a day, with using a chain saw it had a tendancy to spray sap everywhere, so you can imagine the state that I got into, and the sap sets rock solid over night.

My wife just washed my safety kit in the washing machine and hey presto all gone, no magic tricks, just a washing machine. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's good to know. I'm thinking that it was still very fresh and hadn't dried out any though to come off so easily. I thought I could get it off like chewing gum and left it for a few days....the damn stuff's still on my pullover.
Basically wash it quickly then?

Cheers,
Toddy

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I thought I'd ruined a pair of trousers last weekend having sat on a log for 15 minutes leaving them liberally encrusted with resin. At home I decided to soak them in (initially) hot water with "Bio-tex" added for about 3 hours. It worked a treat and after a normal wash in the machine they were as good as new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE