Removing lining from a Fjallraven greenland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to grab what I thought was a fjallraven greenland jacket from an online charity shop for cheap, however it is infact a greenland winter jacket, and the fur lining will resign it to getting used about 3 times a year unfortunately. I have down jackets, and heavy barbour jackets for when it is cold, but what I was hoping to use it for, was as a field jacket, so nice and light, with just a t shirt underneath.
Considering the cost of it, and my needs, I'm tempted to risk ruining the jacket in an effort to remove it's lining. It doesn't have to be pretty. Just wondered if anybody had done similar, and if I am wasting my time?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have removed linings from jackets before... the problem areas tend to be collar cuffs, front closures and hem.
I have usually been able to unpick the stitch lines that hold the lining into seams/hems at these points and then re-sew the seams minus the lining but depending on the system used for the front closure this can be more tricky: press studs that are fitted right through the outer and lining are the worst!
Having looked at the pictures of a jacket like yours , I think that you may get away with carefully unpicking the seams and removing the lining OK but I would go slowly and carefully pinning the seams back together as you go - inch by inch - or you may find resetting the zip and baffles neatly a bit tricky.
If you do not fancy unpicking and re-sewing ... hack the beggar out with some shears, seal the edges of the synthetic fur with a candle flame (carefully!) and accept bulky seams :)

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Thanks for the replies. My thought process was exactly as you described John, and in the end I opted to unpick the seams and pull out the lining. Quite fun actually, sort of skinning an animal. The two long seams where the zip attaches were the worst, as they were stitched through the lining. When I removed these stitches the zip was free to come away from the jacket although the remnants of the stitches actually held it in place. It would probably have been much simpler to wait find a greenland jacket without the lining, but in actual fact what I have ended up with is a really lightweight jacket (relatively speaking), that has a good generous fit. Had I got the off the peg jacket without the lining, I tend to think it would have allowed less room in the body and arms. The one I have no is visibly baggy which is what I wanted. All in all I'm quite pleased.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE