Reindeer Pelts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’ve had a real hankering for a large reindeer pelt for a long time now. So to you learned knowledgeable Shrafters where how how much and why???

Last edited:
Reactions: Hodge and Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I’ve had a real hankering for a large reindeer pelt for a long time now. So to you learned knowledgeable Shrafters where how and why???
I'd love a reindeer pelt! A quick Google search shows them available online but they do seem pricey! I have a red deer pelt, which I use as a throw in my sofa. It's amazingly soft. I shot the deer myself a few years ago and decided to keep the pelt. It cost me a fair bit to have it done at the time but for memories, it was worth it.

Maybe a group buy for interested peeps?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'd love a reindeer pelt! A quick Google search shows them available online but they do seem pricey! I have a red deer pelt, which I use as a throw in my sofa. It's amazingly soft. I shot the deer myself a few years ago and decided to keep the pelt. It cost me a fair bit to have it done at the time but for memories, it was worth it.

Maybe a group buy for interested peeps?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Nice one Mr Wild, the fact that you harvested it yourself is what makes it special to you

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a reindeer pelt - they shed like crazy!
I had to bin it or I would have had a divorce as the hairs clogged up the house....
I now have "The Beast" and "Baby Beast" a blanket backed by patchwork of old fur coats and a piece of Desert cam cotton backed with patchwork rabbit fur coats - not so much shedding (but rabbit gets EVERYWHERE when you cut it !) so harmony and warmth are restored.
PC210010.JPG P9010026.JPG

The quality of mine may have been poor but I am wary of Reindeer.....

Last edited:

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
I’ve had a real hankering for a large reindeer pelt for a long time now. So to you learned knowledgeable Shrafters where how how much and why???

I have 2 reindeer pelts, one was free. Both were from when I worked with the Sami in the Arctic circle. One was a reindeer I dispatched and ate, the other was a treated and prepared “market” one that I bought.

As above they shed if not looked after, you can’t use them as rugs or walk over, best using them as a wallpeice or as I have one thrown over the head of my bed.

They are expensive online but probably the best way of getting on that’s ready to just throw over a sofa or something.

I am trying to get in touch with a local university wit some fashion students to get into some kind of process of giving them Deer pelts that me and a few mates hunt for and them doing a project of completely locally sourced byproduct with minimal wasteage. But sadly all students these days seem to be hypocritical, vegan, granola eating, lefties.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
They are warm, nice to sleep on, but as been's said, most do shed, some worse than others. Sheepskins don't seem to have the shedding problem.
The prices for Reindeer pelts are always higher this time of year, better bargains to be had in the summer.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Pelts for indoor or clothing use are harvested at a different time than pelts for outdoor use.

(Outdoor pelts are ok with shedding)

Harvested early in winter - less shedding.

Also the time between the harvesting and curing is important.

Reactions: Bootfox and SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As Janne says, I was told it was all about the time of year the reindeer was killed and the pelt prepared. Unfortunately, the price also reflects the quality; you can double the price for a non-shedding pelt so, typically, over £100. From my own experience, I would stay clear of 'bargains' when it comes to buying reindeer pelts :)

Reactions: Janne and CLEM

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Reindeer like other related beasts do not have very durable pelts because the the hair is hollow. Which makes it great for tying floating flies and in some cases stuffing. But Sami make winter overcoats which are actually fairly durable but that apparently depends on quite a few things, I'll have to ask more when going up north next time.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The pelts used for shoes and clothing were cured with traditional methods ( of course) from early winter pelts.

Today, the pelts are gathered, then shipped to the factory. They really should be defleshed/scraped, and salted but I doubt that happens.
the culling is done over several days, so the pelts lie around for a bit. Then have to be hipped to the tannery, which is not next door!

The problem is twofold. Pelts taken late in the winter season:
Follicles are 'maturing' and getting ready to release the old, winter heavy hairs
Extended time between harvesting and curing - the follicles are starting to decompose

A good quality skin/pelt hardly sheds and will last for years.

Some 'tourist' skins are basically only dried. They scrape off the worst meat/soft tissue remains, then dry them. That us what many tourists buy, unfortunately.

(I lived in that part of Sweden for several years, and many of my 'boys' were Saame. Have Saame friends in Norway. my cource of dried Reindeer meat and Hearts! )

It is worth buying a quality pelt. The best underlay money can buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM and Bootfox

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hair shedding is only part of the problem, the other is plain breaking and that is where the hollowness plays a large part. What you say about the collecting and tanning correlates well to what I have heard and read, I have no first hand knowledge except on floating and breaking.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, they break easily. Highly irritating, as a piece can get stuck in your clothes. Or yourself!

We used to have some pelts beside our bed, and I used to get them stuck in the soles of my feet.
Wife used to laugh.

If you look on clothing made from these pelts, they are sewn with a specific orientation of the hair in mind.

Reindeer pelts were also used under the foot part of skis, in hilly terrain. Made skiing uphill easier. We used that tech in my days. Paleo tech that works.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
we bought a couple from the knife makers in Karasjok in Norway (home the Norwegian Sami Parliament). They were really cheap (£40) and they're now used as flooring in the tipi. They do shed a little, but they're so warm. In fact, it cost us as much to buy an extra bag to fly them home. And they still have the ear tags on.
But definitely go for ones from a decent source and be prepared to pay a little extra.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, the Norwegian Saame have their Parliament there.
The Swedish Saame P. is in Kiruna. Not sure where the Russian and Finnish ones are though.

You paid a good price.
If anybody wants a quality skin let me know, I know a couple internet based shops (in Sweden) that sell and send them! They even send to UK, but hurry up before 'B' as they will be more expensive for you after!

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
EBay = type in
Non moulting reindeer rug, 70 quid !!
I got myself one a few month ago, worth every penny. I had tried 3 others and they were shedding like mad. This one loses 4-5 hairs every time I shake it. Lives in the car and it's exactly what I was after for my bushcraft chair. You even get to chose which colour you want. They're called
Jdwoodleather in Keighley
Let me know what you find?

Reactions: SaraR and CLEM

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
EBay = type in
Non moulting reindeer rug, 70 quid !!
I got myself one a few month ago, worth every penny. I had tried 3 others and they were shedding like mad. This one loses 4-5 hairs every time I shake it. Lives in the car and it's exactly what I was after for my bushcraft chair. You even get to chose which colour you want. They're called
Jdwoodleather in Keighley
Let me know what you find?
Thanks man, I’ll check that out

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you intend to use it outdoors, make sure it has been treated for outdoor use. This basically means the leather side has been ( more or less) water proof.
Two benefits: a wet skin weights lots, a wet skin will loose lots of hair, even if the high quality, early harvest one.

Tíswìn slusipa

In my youth we slept on many skins including caribou - your reindeer in europe . Good but not if they get wet or damp and dry out in warm. Then they start to smell after some time. It was hard work for the women to get them so good. Ha! I guess we weren't not buying or paying for them then!. Now only used without fur for jackets but still hard to make good ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE