ReHandled Super Swede

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

My Normark Super Swede is of the older plastic handled type, has had a bit of hammer and is looking very tired indeed, the grip is now a bit slippy, especially when damp, is there anywhere where it is possible to get new bits (are they called scales ?) for the handle outer ?

Cheers, Sp :)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
If you have the tools you could make a new set of scales,maybe you have to make a flatter pair as replicating the original styling could be a bit tricky.Ive made many in the past from G10,micarta for UKPK,sebenza's etc etc,its all about measuring accuratley especially for the pins/rivets.

Certainy doable;)

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
If you have the tools you could make a new set of scales,maybe you have to make a flatter pair as replicating the original styling could be a bit tricky.Ive made many in the past from G10,micarta for UKPK,sebenza's etc etc,its all about measuring accuratley especially for the pins/rivets.

Certainy doable;)

Hi, Thanks

I had thought about doing that, I was thinking, with my complete novice ( read non existant :) ) knifemaking skills, that possibly the best way to do it would be to get the holes right for the screws first off, then attach both sides of the scales to the knife and sand / cut and generally abraid the scales while they are on the knife, hopefully to a shape similar to the ones previously on the knife or of the desired shape should it be different from the original ?

Is this how people do it or do they get the shape of the handles sorted first, prior to fitting to the knife ?

Cheers :)

PS. As I use the knife a lot outdoors in the wet, with and without gloves, are there any materials / grip styles that are particularly "grippy" ?
Please excuse all the questions !

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Just remove the original scales and draw round on your chosen handle material,the hole for the fixing points are most critical for a good fit.You can always cut the new scales bigger than needed and shape once your happy that everything fits right.
Micarta and G10 can be grippy if they are not smoothed too much or if you have the knowledge cast your own scales,ive made 'hessian' scales in the past with great results.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Heres a pair of scales ive did on an EL01,changed from the original black scales to ribbed orange G10.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE