Regulating bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that the divide isn't the neolithic or bronze age, but the Industrial Revolution.....well here at least.
The UK was the first truly Industrial nation, the first where the urban/rural divide of population switched, and it did so very rapidly. Within two generations the majority of folks were pretty much divorced from their rural roots, and concomitantly from real access to seasonality of resources......especially in a land where all land is owned by someone, and fenced off with laws and restrictions to anyone picking/foraging/or hunting.

Not everyone lost that knowledge or access though, but enough did that fires, litter, destruction is someone else's problem.

I think that divorce from rural, and natural, roots, is (excuse the pun) at the root of the problem of how folks try to care (or don't) and somehow yet miss the entirety of the issues.

I don't think exclusion is the way to go.

Thinking on it though, the hills have never been so busy, the parks and nature reserves have never been so busy. I can't see folks wanting to go back in their cages :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think that divorce from rural, and natural, roots, is (excuse the pun) at the root of the problem of how folks try to care (or don't) and somehow yet miss the entirety of the issues.

But around here, the farmers are some of the worst :( - they have no care for the countryside in general unless they can make a profit from it (I do acknowledge that this is a generalisation).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's still Industry though, but everybody is aware now that dumping farm plastic like that isn't acceptable. There isn't the labour available (or affordable ? ) or larger families to deal with all the work that farming entails and the waste is a real issue.

Farm middens used to be simply ploughed back into the land (why fieldwalking is often a treasure trove of domestic and social debris) but they can't plough plastic into the soil.

I don't know that the answer is simple, but I do believe that unrotting plastic will become a definite no-no, even if it has be be done by making it horrendously expensive.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
But that's just one example - there's a farmer around here that I know shot a Goshawk last year; another that doesn't know the difference between a raven, a crow and a rook; another that still dumps dead sheep in a pit; another that regularly leaves the plastic bottles from the various ewe treatments scattered on the fields.

I know how difficult farming is, especially in the uplands (I started my working life on farms), but there are many examples of good farming practices that work in a sustainable and positive way. There needs to be incentives or penalties for not doing so.

I've said it elsewhere, we cannot expect 'townies' to behave in the countryside when the see the 'custodians' of the countryside behaving so badly.

Sorry, rant over :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
But that's just one example - there's a farmer around here that I know shot a Goshawk last year; another that doesn't know the difference between a raven, a crow and a rook; another that still dumps dead sheep in a pit; another that regularly leaves the plastic bottles from the various ewe treatments scattered on the fields.

I know how difficult farming is, especially in the uplands (I started my working life on farms), but there are many examples of good farming practices that work in a sustainable and positive way. There needs to be incentives or penalties for not doing so.

I've said it elsewhere, we cannot expect 'townies' to behave in the countryside when the see the 'custodians' of the countryside behaving so badly.

Sorry, rant over :)
Is this the part when someone mentions the gamekeepers at Leadhills? Or several other grouse estates for that matter.
Oops, too late.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Stop getting offended by trivial things , it's a thing that happens with the cheap tablet I use
Why did you reply to my same comment twice... One with a nice friendly simple explanation that made total sense and the next accusing me of being offended?? Don't get your knicks in a twist, I wasn't offended in the slightest, I just found it peculiar and was wondering if there was a particular reason for doing it, like perhaps you had some sort of dislike with the word or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Spirit fish

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Some of you guys have written quite a lot about various rules or rule making by the townies and the like... I guess I view the whole thing as an exercise in trying to reduce human stupidity...

Remember when there was something called common sense? My Dad used to tell me how police men could give you a clip round the ear, they could frog march you home and spill the beans to your parents who'd also give you a clip round the ear... Then I guess somewhere along the lines that became unacceptable.

Parents are now no longer allowed to smack their children..all done in the name of stopping child abuse... Yet last time I checked, stubbing cigarettes out on a child or punch, kicking, throwing a child against a wall has always been classed as abuse, yet people still did it... So I'm not sure how stopping smacking will do anything to reduce abuse...

It moves on, freedom of speech... This is great, theoretically, but then it gets abused by morons who feel they can stir up trouble with lies, so then we bring in laws against things like slander and the like, well that's directly contrary to freedom of speech... Obviously we've moved on from that into the old realms of hate speech and nasty words and all that to the point where the freedom is somewhat limited...

Dartmoor.. beautiful place, lovely to camp all for free etc etc last summer it was invaded by morons who heavily damaged many areas, so then the freedoms to wild camp (in certain areas) get removed for a period of time..all because of people being idiots...

It's the same all over society... The more civilised, peaceful, inclusive etc we become, the more rules we require to police the situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE