Regarding Amadou Article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Hi folks,
This amadou article seems to bring forth a lot of disagreement among you bushcrafters, I've even had emails from around the world disagreeing with it.:lmao:

So lets revisit the first sentence of the article: "There are a few ways of manufacturing tinder (amadou) from the Fomes Fomentarius, this is but one." Many would-be alchemists will add in all sorts of things, urine, saltpetre etc - try these out yourself as it's all about experimentation. :)

The article was written to try to encourage people to experiment with the material – it certainly wasn’t intended as a definitive set of instructions. Some people seem to look for instant results without experimenting which results in a very shallow knowledge base.I am well aware of other ways of preparing Fom. Fomentarius that will accept a relatively small and cool spark from iron pyrites and flint without the need for long processing times. In fact there is a process that will give you amadou which is on a par with the true tinder fungus, and those of you who have tried this material will know how efficient that is with the smallest of sparks.

Well done jonr, you seemed to have worked out what others couldn't. I personally don't have 24 hrs free to sit and watch a pot boil either - what a waste of time!

Over a weekend I always have a fire on the go from 6.30am to around 12.30 pm. I usually have a brew pot bubbling away all day, maybe a game stew, some hide and horn glue and on occasion, some Fomes - often all at the same time. Every so often, I spend around 30 seconds putting wood on the fire and another 30 seconds adding water to the pot, so over a period of 24 hrs I have spent more like 24 minutes making the amadou! I'm also able to teach my students and craft at the same time. I believe it's called time management, or multi-tasking!

Anyway, in my humble opinion, I find the longer the amadou boils, the more the trama layer breaks down, resulting in very fine and fluffy fibres indeed. Please don’t take my word for this - experiment yourself!

Reactions: leep45

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I am well aware of other ways of preparing Fom. Fomentarius that will accept a relatively small and cool spark from iron pyrites and flint without the need for long processing times. In fact there is a process that will give you amadou which is on a par with the true tinder fungus, and those of you who have tried this material will know how efficient that is with the smallest of sparks.

Sounds interesting Patrick... ;)

I've made amadou that will take a spark from flint and steel by boiling in lye for only about 2 hours... But it's a bit variable. Some bits are great, others hardly take a spark from a modern firesteel. But I doubt that even the best of it would take a spark from pyrite...

Reactions: leep45

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE