Refurbed John Riley 1186 Axe

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
over the last few weeks I been working on a John Riley 1186 1lb Axe, I got hold of it and it was in need of a lot of TLC as can be seen below in the image.

2013-05-29 15.41.03.jpg

I gave it a week long bath in some vinegar, even then it still had some in grained rust in the pits, to get rid of that a scouring pad was employed, after a while of careful scrubbing, all the rust had gone, a quick wash down , and a light rub with autosol, to brighten it up a bit, not enough to make it shine, but to stop the rust appearing with in seconds.

The onto the clean up of the poll and the eye, keeping as much as the character of the ace I could, this axe has seen many years of use, and to take that history away from it, would be wrong, the edge was taken back with out really hacking the edge off, it still has a couple of small dink's in it but it has a nice edge, and they will disappear after a few more sharpens,

Then on to the Helve, the original had seen a fair few better years, the question what to Helve it with?, make another Ash Helve?, buy a hickory Helve..? then I remembered I have an old Helve from a 4lb felling Axe that had broken, and I had kept, so I got to work with that, but someone I knew had a bit of Hickory kicking about and did not want it, so I used that and made a Helve that I thought, worked better as I have more wood to play with.

I then got to work with some 3mm Veg Tan, made a Mask, dyed in Dark Brown, not used the Fiebing's Oil Dye before, but quite happy with the finish, woke up at a silly hour this morning and seeing as I am not out until lunchtime today, thought I would make a belt loop for it.

DSC_1013.jpgDSC_1014.jpg

I am very happy with how it has turned out, hope I have done it justice to it, A nice English Axe that was made in Sheffield, now brought back to life from a future of turning back to Iron Oxide, hopefully to serve in the job it was made to do.

I am in two minds, I may let this one go to a new home as a complete set up, with Mask and Belt Loop, as I have too many axes now, I know you cant have too many, but I've only got a limited amount of room for storage.. but I will decide some time, I just enjoy doing this, still got three more heads and an Adze to do.... :)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nicely done again Stew mate, leather looks a nice addition.
I have the same axe head awaiting being finished, I started on the grind to find it was soft so am going to re temper it then fit a new helve when time permits.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
nice work, still amazes me that people will through out tool that with a little work will go on for decades more

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thank you for the comments, I do quite like it, and think the mask and the Belt Hanger finishes it off, I know what you mean there Hugo, I had one a couple of months ago, I still go to re heat treat it, its a pain , but hey some like to burn out the old handles, thinking they are doing the right thing........

I do so enjoy refurbishing them, and to working with the leather sort of finishes it off so will carry on, but think I may have to sell some, I cant keep them all......

Very nice refurbishment! I like the sheath very much. I'd love to try making one of these one day... Interesting to see your decision making process on the handle. Very recognisable. I have found a local seller who has some "old stock" hickory handles for 3 euros a piece only. Tempting that is. Also need to mention that I like it the way you kept it authentic; it has been used and it will be used.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated, I am also enjoying getting back into the leather work.. :),

I got 6 that are finished, all with Masks, couple of them with belt loops,
DSC_1017.jpg

Three in the process of cleaning, and reworking...

and another three at work under my bench, in the rough condition,

Also got a 2" Adze just been striped, and an nice old wedge that I got being striped then reground, and refinished....

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
That is a sweet little collection you have going on there and some excellent leather work to boot, right up my street:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE